Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

French Onion Soup....In Its Infancy

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

About 18-20 various beef marrow bones, beef back ribs, lamb bones, and pork bones that got roasted off in a 400 oven for about 45 minutes. Bunch of cut up carrots, onions, leeks, celery and garlic that was sauteed off in the fat from roasting the bones. Trimmings from various veggies I have been saving over the past 4-5 days (onion and garlic skins included). 5-6 quarts of water and a quart of beef stock I had frozen from the last time I did this.

Will come to a bare boil, and then lowered to a bare simmer and covered for 8-12 hours, then strained and fridged............

Onion soup will be later this week (like Thursday)..........drool.gif

View PostHope there will be a pictorial with this one. Love French Onion soup, but have never attempted it. drool.gif

I'll try........right now I am exploring various French Onion Soup recipes and not sure exactly what I'm gonna do yet. I mean, I know how to make it and have many times in the past, but am in search of the "ultimate". wink.gif

Probably won't be making the soup proper until Wednesday or Thursday.

Right now I am bummed that the stock pot for the broth doesn't fit in the oven redface.gif.......plan was to leave it in there overnight at 170 or so and have the timer shut the oven off at about 2 AM so it would cool by 5 AM...guess I'm gonna have to leave it on the burner till bedtime and get up about midnight to deal with it..........

View Post

Right now I am bummed that the stock pot for the broth doesn't fit in the oven redface.gif.......plan was to leave it in there overnight at 170 or so and have the timer shut the oven off at about 2 AM so it would cool by 5 AM...guess I'm gonna have to leave it on the burner till bedtime and get up about midnight to deal with it..........

This is why I wish somebody would make a decent big size crockpot. When I do my potpie and even my crab soup I like to leave it simmer all night and my pot doesn't fit in the oven either. Decent size crockpot would be ideal and I don't believe it would get to hot in one either.

Oh and BTW Steve, I have become quite the onion soup taster over the years. By far my favorite soup to enjoy anytime. Couple of places around here I can count on at anytime if I want some. Mom is the same way and I would assume I got it from her. With that said neither one of us can make a crock of it to save our lives redface.gif

View Postwhat kind of booze you putin in? Clam/fish chowder and onion soup are my favorite soups by far!

Well, cognac would be the classic, but I'm not about to buy a bottle of cognac for the ~1/4 cup I would use.

Dry sherry is also a classic, and since I have that........

View PostWell, cognac would be the classic, but I'm not about to buy a bottle of cognac for the ~1/4 cup I would use.

Dry sherry is also a classic, and since I have that........

Come on man! You can buy a nip or a small bottle. Steak au voi(sp)? U ever put beer in it i bet that would be tastey!

View PostCome on man! You can buy a nip or a small bottle. Steak au voi(sp)? U ever put beer in it i bet that would be tastey!

Not sure cognac is available in nips. In fact, think I have looked for it before with no luck.

you can get courvosier in nips - at least around here

as for the soup - I've been playing around a lot and I've decided that keeping it simple works best - now the only thing I add in addition to the onions, butter, beef stock, worchestershire, and salt is a little veal demi-glace and some finely chopped oyster, hen of do woodz if I can find them, or dried porchini mushrooms- just something to add a little extra earthiness.

Like the mushroom idea....icon14.gif

Anyway, stock ended up going for about 12-13 hours total........skimmed a lot of the fat, removed the bones, and then juggling a bunch of different pots and bowls to double strain it, ended up with about 6 1/2 quarts of this.........

Taste test says it needs salt, but I never put salt in stock until it finds its final application. It also needs to be concentrated a bit.........

It is on the stove now on low simmer, and I will reduce it to about 4 quarts. Then it will get parked in the fridge.....the rest of the fat will congeal on top and can be skimmed off easily tomorrow.

Looks like the soup won't be until Friday when the onions go on sale.....

On 4/27/2010 at 0:06 PM, Steve in Mass said:

Like the mushroom idea....icon14.gif

Anyway, stock ended up going for about 12-13 hours total........skimmed a lot of the fat, removed the bones, and then juggling a bunch of different pots and bowls to double strain it, ended up with about 6 1/2 quarts of this.........

Taste test says it needs salt, but I never put salt in stock until it finds its final application. It also needs to be concentrated a bit.........

It is on the stove now on low simmer, and I will reduce it to about 4 quarts. Then it will get parked in the fridge.....the rest of the fat will congeal on top and can be skimmed off easily tomorrow.

Looks like the soup won't be until Friday when the onions go on sale.....

I hope you made the onion soup by now.

ive had a French onion soup craving, you got a recipe to add to the above?

Wow, old thread, I am gonna have to see if I can find what I did and any improvements I may have made since then.

I know for the onions I used the Cooks Country or America's Test Kitchen method for caramelizing.