So, what kinda fly fishing ya planning?

Rate this topic

TimS

Bob, I can understand your line of thinking that by getting your feet wet in the fresh water will better prepare you for the salt. It sounds like a good plan on paper but..

I would advise against it, the casting requirements and line handling techniques are different. I think you would better serve youself to get a lighter say 8 weight outfit and hit the back bay/river salt stuff. A rod this size will serve you well for all of this kind of fishing although it would not be my first choice for the oceanside surf it can be used under the right conditions (calm).

You could also double duty it for some freshwater bass buggin, steelhead and whatnot. It would only be too heavy for trout fishing.

If you already fish the salt with hardware you are probably better prepared to pick up a flyrod in the salt than a guy that has trout fly fished for years.

The Jan fly show is a good place to start..

Bob,

I started out with the Shakespere fly outfit which runs about 30 bucks. It was good to practice with and get the gist of flyfishing. I soon wanted to upgrade due to the lack of freshwater here in OC and ultimately realized that if I caught a decent size striper on that rig it would be pretty embarrassing if someone was standing nearby. All in all my reccommendations is check out the show there are some good seminars and the one they had in Wildwood brought some of the legends of flyfishing to our backyard. It was very informative and I still picked the brains of Mark Sedoni and Lou Tabory for fly casting. Other speakers are just as knowledgeable and it is well worth the admission price. One more thing,

you can spend as much money on saltwater flyfishing as you want,I know that a $500 flyrod breaks just as easily as a $100 one.

Good luck and Happy Holidays

KML

I've been fishing the salt exculsively for the last 16 years, but I'd still like to try a fly rod in fresh water to tide me over the winter and maybe re-introduce me to fresh water....it's been a while.

Looks like a spring trip to Abaco is now on my agenda. While I'll be going by boat and in pursuit of Marlin, I think I'll have to bring a fly rod along to try wading the flats in between the offshore jaunts so I'll need an outfit for that, too.

Guess I'll have to learn to use them bothsmile.gif

Fishhead

I'm looking forward to the Fly Fish Show. Hope to try many different products and listen to anyone willing to talk or any seminars given. Also been scouring the internet for anything Fly related.

I'm looking at entry level outfits for freshwater right now. Saw some Pfluger and Scientific Anglers complete outfits that are relatively inexpensive.

I'd be willing to drive a few hours to get to a decent steam to try this stuff out...looks like a hoot.

Hey Jim from DE is there any truth to the rumor that I have heard that a certain part of White Clay (I think on the Pa side) has Limestone influences and holds a decent amount of wild trout. As you said the stocked variety aren't much fun anymore. I'd love to chase some wild fish in between classes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be waiting for spring to cast <snif> unless my winter work schedule modifies more easily than currently expected ... and doing some reps with light weights to reduce the chance of casting myself into another case of tennis elbow. Squishing the heck out of a hand squeezer widget has helped, now some weight is appropriate.