Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muskogeee

First time casting my 12' rod

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Whuich kind of reel are you using? Do you load the blamnk during the cast? These are the questions you need to ask youerself, The mono may not be your issue right now and I don't think you will see a signifciant different with the braid unless you have the right reel and you load the rod properly.

Also you don't need gloves, just get a $5.50 medical tape.

For now I'm just using a shakespeare reel, waiting on an okuma epixor that should be here sometime next week wink.gif How do you tell if you're loading the rod properly, how do you know when you hit the sweet spot? There's no lure weight rating on the rod itself and for some reason they don't have this model on their website. -.-

One other thing to consider is the size of the reel face (spinning reel) compared to the first guide up from the reel. If the reel face is larger than the guide, the line will hit the guide on each cast, and shorten the distance you could reach.

With a properly balanced reel and rod, your casting should be smooth.

I would also go with braid. It's not as stiff as mono, and tends to cast much easier than mono. One thing to consider is the braid composition. Not all braids are created equal, in quality, burability and most imprtantly in price.

Through my own experiences I have eliminated Spiderwire and Fireline. They tend to unravel or "ribbon" (flatten after considerable use) and create a drag in the wind as well as the water.

PowerPro and P-line are decent braids, durable, reliable and affordable.

Suffix is good. Its round form holds up very well, is durable, reliable and also affordable. I'm sure there are more brands of braid, and people's opinions of them as well, and the best I could suggest is to try different brands to see which suites you particular needs the best.

If you have extra reels, you could spool them with different braids and test them on different trips or continue with you parking lot testing. (I like that idea of the tennis ball over the weight.)

Good work and good luck!

One other thing to consider is the size of the reel face (spinning reel) compared to the first guide up from the reel. If the reel face is larger than the guide, the line will hit the guide on each cast, and shorten the distance you could reach.

This is an errant statement. Do not let this lead you in wrong directions. - HPD

View PostSo I just got back from practicing casting my new 12' rod. With 4.5 ounces I got about 75 yards avg frown.gif. But then again I was using 25lb berkley big game mono which is even heavier than normal mono so that probly contributed to it.

I get 100-130 yards with a 10 foot pole, I am using 40 pound braid and VS you must be doing something wrong.. With my stradic I could get 125-150 yards.. You gotta load the rod..

I have been using 10 and 14 pound fireline on a legend surf 10'6 2-6 ounce rod with a penn 560 and i get amazing casting distance.I have found that its more than strong enough considering 10 pound breaks at 28.45 pounds on average and 14 pound pops around 38 pounds.I dont need the extra abrasion resistance so i can get away with it.I have also never cut myself not even once, just make sure you tighten down the drag ,this setup regularly catches big bull redfish and very large rays and they will fight you to the death even though i hate the latter.Handles fantastic no wind knots and i regularly throw 2 to 4 oz with force. smile.gif

View PostWhuich kind of reel are you using? Do you load the blamnk during the cast? headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

the reels I have now are my friends one is a cheap shakespeare alpha 160 and the other is a penn master 860.. which also seems pretty cheap tho I can't find it online anywhere.

Explain "loading the blank" to me wink.gif