Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muskogeee

First time casting my 12' rod

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

So I just got back from practicing casting my new 12' rod. With 4.5 ounces I got about 75 yards avg frown.gif. But then again I was using 25lb berkley big game mono which is even heavier than normal mono so that probly contributed to it.

View PostSo I just got back from practicing casting my new 12' rod. With 4.5 ounces I got about 75 yards avg frown.gif. But then again I was using 25lb berkley big game mono which is even heavier than normal mono so that probly contributed to it.

why the purple sad face?? there are plenty of good fish within 75 yards of the beach! smile.gif

Are you casting with an open face or conventional reel? When using this type of equipment I get more distance out of conventional reels like my Penn 140 squidder. I would drop down to 20lb test mono it does make a difference.

View PostUsing a spinning reel. Gonna go down to 30# or 20# power pro when I can afford it so that should make a big difference too wink.gif

I would recommend not going that light. You should stay at 50# braid, imo, because anything below 40 is just begging for wind knots and bird's nests. It only takes a few good knots to ruin a trip.

Did you end up going with the 12' emblem rod? Also, which reel are you using? You can gain some additional distance by moving down to 15lb or 17lb mono..both of which are plenty for bluefish, pompano, whiting, and the other fish you have been catching. Just remember to use a shock leader so the line doesn't break on the cast.

That said, 75 yards with the tennis ball isn't too bad. But keep practicing and you'll get better.

View PostI would recommend not going that light. You should stay at 50# braid, imo, because anything below 40 is just begging for wind knots and bird's nests. It only takes a few good knots to ruin a trip.

I've been using 20 & 30lb Sufix Braid & never had a problem with any wind knots!

I tried 50lb braid & hate it. But to each his own.

View PostDid you end up going with the 12' emblem rod? Also, which reel are you using? You can gain some additional distance by moving down to 15lb or 17lb mono..both of which are plenty for bluefish, pompano, whiting, and the other fish you have been catching. Just remember to use a shock leader so the line doesn't break on the cast.

That said, 75 yards with the tennis ball isn't too bad. But keep practicing and you'll get better.

I also have been using 17lb Sufix Mono & caught many a big fish with no problem & you will get more distance.

You use 20# braid on a spinning reel and throw 4.5 ounces with it and you're going to either break off a whole lot, cut your casting finger to the bone when your drag slips, or both. That's just an unsafe combination, and a spinning setup makes using a shock leader messy business. I too would use 50# braid, for safety's sake if nothing else - and you'll still cast way further than with mono.

I was just using a cheap old spinning reel and 25lb mono cuz that's all I had laying around smile.gif. Plan on picking up some 30# PP tomorrow and some decent gloves so I don't chop off a finger.

And no I didn't get the emblem rod, I had to cut back even more on my budget so I went with a 12' shakespeare :-x. Only has to last me a couple months though wink.gif