Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tito Alas

Roosterfishing tackle,tips & technics for the surf

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

We are about to have a Rooster fish tournament in a productive fishing local area in my country El Salvador.I´ve read the excellent article by Sergio, reknowned master in SOL.Could you please help us with your advise about plugging Roosters in the surf?.Of course that Sergio´s additional advise will be appreciated.

What about the best tide,moon phase & water conditions ?

Thanks in advance.

View PostWe are about to have a Rooster fish tournament in a productive fishing local area in my country El Salvador.I´ve read the excellent article by Sergio, reknowned master in SOL.Could you please help us with your advise about plugging Roosters in the surf?.Of course that Sergio´s additional advise will be appreciated.

What about the best tide,moon phase & water conditions ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Tito,

That post that was converted to an article is very old and even obsolete in some aspects. I think that I was still using or had just quit using conventionals to fish for roosters when I wrote it.

There is plenty information regarding fishing for roosters in this forum if you use the search function.

As in all types of fishing the most important aspect is locating them. Once I find a place they frequent in most (not all) spots I prefer to fish on a new mon and a high tide with clear water. I do not like too calm water and neither too rough.

You can catch roosters with many lures. The best lures are skipping lures and my favorite is still the Ranger line of Roberts.

Basically you should cast as far as possible and retrieve at a high speed in a way that the lure is skipping over the surface. I prefer to crank faster than most, but that is just a matter of preference.

Check the past posts from HPD and mine and you will have some basic knowledge. There is also a lot of equipment information in this forum.

Please release all roosters caught. There is no sense killing this fish and they taste not good at all.

Good luck.

Sergio

In general, roosterfish are called "the ghosts of the coast" and it's not unusual for them to show up/disappear for mysterious reasons. They can also be quite fickle and often they will refuse to bite despite best efforts. I'm becoming impressed with how different roosters behave in their various geographical locations.

As Sergio suggests, there is a lot written here about techniques if you use the search function.

I do not see a strong link to phases of the moon and tides. However they definitely prefer clear water. Much of the key has to do with their forage base and this differs with the geographical location and the season. There is no substitute for knowledge of your local waters and investing a lot of time in learning about the roosterfish there.

I join Sergio in hoping your tournament does not advocate killing roosterfish. Their populations can be significantly hurt by this. - HPD

Thanks a lot for your fast replies Bluefish1928thing,Sergio and High Plains drifter.I´ve started to read your posts and after doing it and if you don´t mind;I´ll reach you again.

About our tournament,I forgot to detail that it will be catch & release specially for roosters...If they appear and we could get them!

In order to get your help "customized" to all of us that will go after roosters in our nexte catch & release tournament and been honest that we all are new to this fishing; could you please advise us about a lure selection strategy for searching the roosters?I´ve read something about it in this forum but couldn´t find it again,so your help will be really appreciated.

View PostIn order to get your help "customized" to all of us that will go after roosters in our nexte catch & release tournament and been honest that we all are new to this fishing; could you please advise us about a lure selection strategy for searching the roosters?I´ve read something about it in this forum but couldn´t find it again,so your help will be really appreciated.

The strategy is quite basic. If you can't raise a rooster with a rapidly retrieved red/white Roberts (2 1/2 ounce Whistler,3 ounce Ranger, or 4 ounce Big Shot) within @ 10 casts then MOVE to somewhere else. A willing rooster will show itself very quickly and switching lures will not be effective. Your mobility and ability to quickly sample different areas is most important. Also, time of day can be important so sample a location a during various times of the day.

Location and timing are of utmost importance. Hit and run style of fishing is the best strategy. Any high speed skipping surface lure (like a Roberts lure) will show if you are in the right spot very quickly! - HPD

Thanks a lot HPD!What do you think about what I´ve read somewhere of starting with rangers,next with a popper and ending with irons for given spot?

Talking about "red tide" o "marea roja",(we have a warning right now);does it affects negatively rooster fishing?

Someone have expiriences with this?

View PostThanks a lot HPD!What do you think about what I´ve read somewhere of starting with rangers,next with a popper and ending with irons for given spot?

Talking about "red tide" o "marea roja",(we have a warning right now);does it affects negatively rooster fishing?

Someone have expiriences with this?

Tito -

If I didn't see a rooster with a fast moving surface splasher lure (ie: Roberts) I wouldn't waste time fiddling with lures. I would dash off to another spot. I might return to this spot several hours later to check it again.

Red tide has a BIG negative impact on roosterfishing. I have experienced this several times. It will be very difficult to catch roosters if the red tide is on shore. - HPD