Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robert Williams

Is the Democrat party anti-Christian

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

View PostThis article is an articulate explanation.

Christian Charity versus Government Welfare

I guess I accidentally deleted it.

Christian Charity versus Government Welfare

by Thomas L. Johnson, December 1994

The idea that government-sponsored welfare programs to assist the needy are compatible with, and justified by, Christian philosophy is probably the most widespread erroneous belief that permeates American society, and is hastening the destruction of freedom in the United States. This tragic flaw in the thinking of both well-educated and uneducated Christians has already brought misery to millions, and if this thinking persists in this country, it will result in economic chaos followed by political totalitarianism.

Government welfare programs, even those providing temporary relief, are in complete opposition to, and destructive of, acts of Christian charity and are totally inconsistent with Christian tradition.

One of the fundamental tenets of the Christian church is that the human is a creature possessing free will. It is because of the Christian recognition that man has control over his actions by means of his own will, that he is considered responsible for all his actions. (Our system of jurisprudence is built upon this foundation.) It is also held that for a Christian to perform an act of charity and to gain the spiritual rewards for this act, it must be performed by the deliberate intent of the individual. An act of charity - an act of helping those in need - can only be a Christian act when it involves the application of free will.

It is the concept of free will that is absent from all forms of government welfare.

A government, by its nature, can only act by means of force. The first act of a government is a legislative one - the passing of laws - followed by the carrying out of these rules of social behavior by the executive and judicial branches. The government possesses a legal monopoly in the use of force in executing its duty of seeing that citizens obey the law, and in punishing them if they do not. Thus, the essence of government is coercion.

Force and free will are opposites. Government welfare programs which are executed by means of law and the enforcement of this law, i.e., by the threat or application of force, are diametrically opposed to Christian acts of charity which must be performed by an act of the individual will.

Many Christians consider the support of government welfare programs to be consonant with the tenet of free will, and one often hears the expression: "I am a taxpayer, and therefore I think that such and such a program should be supported by tax money." Such individuals forget the fact that taxation is not a matter of individual choice and that all men are bound by law to pay taxes. They also forget that although they should have the right to designate how their own property is dispensed in charitable ventures, that they do not have the right to make this choice for other men. A majority voting for a welfare program supported by tax money is inconsistent with Christian behavior, for it abolishes the act of choice (free will) of all those who voted against the program. (Such matters should never be brought to a vote for no man has the right to force others to support a welfare project.) True charity, without choice, is an impossibility, and when attempted, negates the concept of Christian love.

Every Christian realizes that he does not have the right to perform an act of charity at the forced expense of his neighbors - that he does not have the right to enter another's home and steal property that he intends to use in a charitable venture. But when the act of stealing is impersonalized by authorizing, by way of a vote, an established agency (government) to perform the confiscation for him, he loses a conscious awareness of the immorality of this practice.

As government welfare activity continues to expand at a phenomenal rate of speed, greater sums of money are required to support this "charity-by-force" undertaking. Taxation thus remains at a high level, with more of the tax dollars diverted to welfare programs, leaving little money in private circulation which can be used for Christian charity. Government welfare action is, of necessity, destructive to Christian giving and will almost completely stifle voluntary acts of benevolence if the present trend continues.

Because of a lack of understanding of one of the basic premises of Christian belief - that of free will - and its application to acts of charity (welfare), most well-meaning, but misguided, Christians have vigorously or silently supported government welfare programs. Others, observing the disastrous consequences of legalized welfare - the demeaning of the human spirit and the creation of parasitical degeneration, as well as the enslavement of the productive members of society who are required, by law, to provide support for welfare recipients do not wish to continue to uphold the cause of this evil (government welfare legislation). But they feel a strong sense of guilt if they do not do so, and fear that if they oppose government welfare they will be considered as unchristian. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth.

Any Christian who does not openly and vehemently denounce all forms of government welfare, cannot, in truth, call himself a Christian, for government welfare is the antithesis of Christian charity. Government welfare operates on the premise of force, whereas Christian charity can only exist where there is freedom of choice - where there is an act of the individual will. Since government welfare programs are outside the control of the individual, and thus outside the realm of free will, they are outside the province of Christian morality and are consequently evil, and must be condemned by all moral men.

It is not only the right, but the duty, of every Christian to actively seek the demise of all government welfare programs, for they are in total conflict with the Christian doctrine which recognizes man as a being possessing free will - the fundamental premise upon which all Christian morality is based.

Dr. Johnson was associate professor of biology at Mary Washington College of the University of Virginia when this article appeared in the April 1970 issue of The Freeman , published by The Foundation for Economic Education, 30 South Broadway, Irvington-on-Hudson, New York 10533. Reprinted by permission.

View PostYou're probably a pretty good example of what it is in the Democratic party that does not understand what it means when they enact legislation that conflicts with Christian principles....nothing they would claim that is really anti-Christian, because they wouldn't want to offend their constituents, but by the same token, they really don't know Christ enough to determine that in the first place....After all, they claim, quite correctly, there is enough controversy and difference in "Christian" faiths, and churches, to merit some discussion..

I'm not a Democrat, but rather an objective observer. I don't see any issues as being anti-Christian. As a Christina, perhaps you could help me out and point out some anti-Christian policies. I'm all ears...er, eyes. Telling me that I don't understand is not a valid argument.

View PostI'm not a Democrat, but rather an objective observer. I don't see any issues as being anti-Christian. As a Christina, perhaps you could help me out and point out some anti-Christian policies. I'm all ears...er, eyes. Telling me that I don't understand is not a valid argument.

It looks like Robert has just done the job for me...But aside from government taking away the individual responsibility and benefits of personal charity, the rights of individual worship in and around school systems, the "entitlement" of homosexual rights, and the tax laws that need churches to steer clear of political favoritism, there are many more that I'm sure I could remember given enough time....But, all in all, Christians have a pretty good like here, at the moment, given that at one time they were fed to the lions...

the laws regarding churches and taxation are not anti-christian as they apply to all non-profits.

churches are free to go for-profit if they feel the need to politicize themselves.

Government "social programs" fueled by tax revenue aren't charity, but wealth redistribution. Those who pay no taxes contribute nothing at all and those who pay the highest taxes carry all the burden. And none of this is voluntary or an act of good will. There's nothing in the Bible about giving drugs to crack moms, buying booze for alcoholics or paying for someone's gambling habits and yet a lot of welfare money gets spent exactly that way.

Charity is personal and an act of love and care for your fellow man. Taxation and welfare are not.

View Postthe laws regarding churches and taxation are not anti-christian as they apply to all non-profits.

churches are free to go for-profit if they feel the need to politicize themselves.

Why should they have to? Why should they be "included" in laws pertaining to "non-profit" organizations? They are churches, not dealing in sales, but in moral matters that are no concern of the state except in the fact that the state has decided that they need to be "regulated"....

View PostWhy should they have to? Why should they be "included" in laws pertaining to "non-profit" organizations? They are churches, not dealing in sales, but in moral matters that are no concern of the state except in the fact that the state has decided that they need to be "regulated"....

because they choose to apply for non-profit status and get all the tax advantages that non-profits have. you don't just get non-profit status magically for being a church.

View Postbecause they choose to apply for non-profit status and get all the tax advantages that non-profits have. you don't just get non-profit status magically for being a church.

You miss the point entirely.... Why should the government ever have had to institute such a policy (law) in the first place? Churches are churches, they have no need to be taxed. They are propagating morals not money! But now, you and other liberals, (unChristians) are content to see them as grouped as "non-profit" organizations................haw!

View PostYou miss the point entirely.... Why should the government ever have had to institute such a policy (law) in the first place? Churches are churches, they have no need to be taxed. They are propagating morals not money! But now, you and other liberals, (unChristians) are content to see them as grouped as "non-profit" organizations................haw!

What about a "church" that was purely policial in nature? Same thing?

View PostYou miss the point entirely.... Why should the government ever have had to institute such a policy (law) in the first place? Churches are churches, they have no need to be taxed. They are propagating morals not money! But now, you and other liberals, (unChristians) are content to see them as grouped as "non-profit" organizations................haw!

how is what i'm talking about non-christian or or liberal? it's the law in black and white. you apply to be a non-profit or you don't. it's the organization's choice to do so- some some liberal conspiracy.

also, if a church is non-profit, it is exempt from paying taxes on its property and the offerings it receives.

View PostWhat about a "church" that was purely policial in nature? Same thing?

Why would you call that a "church"? How about political party?

View PostWhy would you call that a "church"? How about political party?

Are you starting to see the need for the separate treatment? It would be all too easy to disguise a political party as a religion.

View Posthow is what i'm talking about non-christian or or liberal? it's the law in black and white. you apply to be a non-profit or you don't. it's the organization's choice to do so- some some liberal conspiracy.

also, if a church is non-profit, it is exempt from paying taxes on its property and the offerings it receives.

The question was asked about what has the Democratic done....Would you deny the democratic party is liberal? The point is, is that "liberal" laws, or "unChristian" laws have been enacted to put Christian churches in a category of not being taxed because they are "non-profit". That is not what a church is. A church was originally exempt from laws concerning taxation, because they were churches....not because they were "tax-exempt". It's the liberal point of view to categorize them as being "under the law"...

View PostAre you starting to see the need for the separate treatment? It would be all too easy to disguise a political party as a religion.

Yes, I am seeing the need for separate treatment....it's called being exempt from governmental interference..Perhaps you remember, "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's"?

View PostThe question was asked about what has the Democratic done....Would you deny the democratic party is liberal? The point is, is that "liberal" laws, or "unChristian" laws have been enacted to put Christian churches in a category of not being taxed because they are "non-profit". That is not what a church is. A church was originally exempt from laws concerning taxation, because they were churches....not because they were "tax-exempt". It's the liberal point of view to categorize them as being "under the law"...

if you have such an issue about churches freely electing non-profit status, I'd suggest you go to your church elders and recommend that they look to revoke their non-profit status.