Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slingin Eels

Dropper Loop Rig

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Here is a question for the fisherman who hate dealing with skates. Has anyone ever tried fishing a dropper loop rig with chunked bunker at night for bass? I know this sounds like novice work but it seems to me that anyway keeping that bait off the bottom might up the ratio from catching bass rather then skates.

Pretty much like a teaser setup with the weight being on the end where you would attach a plug and have the dropper as your initial hook placement. Has anyone have success in this or should I throw it out the window. Thanks.

Dropper loop rig or even a high low rig doesn't really keep the bait of the bottom if you cast out far. Only really works when of a pier or a boat or something. I was still catching bat rays when i used the high low rig but perfer the fish finder / slider rig better.

You are describing a hi/lo rig commonly used for bass on the cape with sandeels for bait. Sinker on the end with two dropper loops, one about 12" above the sinker the other 18" above the first loop. Tie with 50# mono and there plenty strong enough. Keep the loops at about 3" will prevent deep hooked fish.

Usually won't keep the bait high enough off the bottom to prevent skates.

View PostIf skates are around the only way you can stay away from most of them is with a float rig to get you a least 18" off the bottom. But still expect a couple.

A high/low float rig will stand straight up and keep the droppers off the bottom.

Like Rusty says: They don't eliminate them.

I have seen rigs that had a float on the top of the rig plus one smaller float on each of the droppers. Similar to a rig used for Pompano. C2

Dropper rigs don't keep skates/dogs/crabs away.

They do work when Your fishing snaggy water where an egg sinker or ff rig will get the weight stuck. Causing break offs or fouled hooksets.