Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobby5cents

CTS?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

There is a custom builder in South Jersey that is the only place that has them (dealer).Just the new rod in town and everyone needs to have mode has taken over. I have and have owned more blanks then most people have ever seen in one place and the CTS blanks are nice but nothing to write home about. They are light weight but seem to be a bit pricey for what they are!!

View PostThere is a custom builder in South Jersey that is the only place that has them (dealer).Just the new rod in town and everyone needs to have mode has taken over. I have and have owned more blanks then most people have ever seen in one place and the CTS blanks are nice but nothing to write home about. They are light weight but seem to be a bit pricey for what they are!!

I agree with Surf on this one. They're nothing to write home about. I think its a lot of money for a little bit of a rod. They reminded me of old Fenwicks when I held them and messed around with them. Yes a lot of people love those old Fenwicks, but I don't know anyone who is looking to pay CTS prices for what you're getting.

i too have had a lot of blanks and finished rods and the cts line is certainly something to write home about.

they may not be the perfect blank but they are very light,very strong,very sensitive and as well made as any blank ever!

they also come in gorgeous colors.

all for a reasonable price.

comparing them to old fenwicks is a joke,right?headscratch.gif

View Posti too have had a lot of blanks and finished rods and the cts line is certainly something to write home about.

they may not be the perfect blank but they are very light,very strong,very sensitive and as well made as any blank ever!

they also come in gorgeous colors.

all for a reasonable price.

comparing them to old fenwicks is a joke,right?headscratch.gif

Never have met the perfect blank.. Thank god.. If I did I wouldn't need to buy any more..wink.gif ! The colors?? Some of the CTS colors are ***** looking girly colors. The actions are not bad on the "popping rod" which is a med/fast and is nice. The rest I have played around with are way to fast for me. I also have heard these sticks will not tolerate high sticking at all. But.. *** are you doing buying a big $$ rod if your a high sticker?? As for the old Fenwick comparo.. Really if were speaking of the HMGs the fast actions are simialiar!! I would compare these to the old GUSA !!

View PostThere is a custom builder in South Jersey that is the only place that has them (dealer).Just the new rod in town and everyone needs to have mode has taken over. I have and have owned more blanks then most people have ever seen in one place and the CTS blanks are nice but nothing to write home about. They are light weight but seem to be a bit pricey for what they are!!

I agree, I checked them out in Asbury this year and yes they are extremely light weight but I can't see those rods taking a beating at Montauk and surviving like a Lamiglaas and if I'm not mistaken CTS does not make 1pc. rods.

Carlos

I've tossed a couple of their 13' heavers. Not sure which ones they were, though.

The rods were very light, sensitive and strong. The ones I've cast had a very soft tip. This might be to great for some of ya'll, but my casting style is better served by a firmer tip.

I fish with some of the best distance casters in the country, and more than one of them fish with a CTS heaver.

I think "Surfmaster" and Chunk are half right . . . You are paying more for what you aren't getting . . . It's just that they don't get why that's a good thing.

You aren't getting old technology woven fiber, just the most advanced process pure carbon; sadly you are not getting thick butts and heavy in the hand, exhausting sticks. Yup, it's "a little bit of a rod" you're getting. Why would anyone like a 12' moderate action that throws 4-1/4 - 8 oz, weighs 7 ounces and has a butt diameter of 5/8"?

The 10' Pencil blank that "Surfmaster" thinks is "nice" is rated 2 - 4-1/4 ounces, has a 9/16" butt and weighs under 5 ounces and throws a 3oz pencil 120 yards with just an overhead thump . . . Yeah, blanks like that are all over the place, nothing special there. kooky.gif

I realize when you are used to 10' blanks with butt diameters over 1-1/4" and unpublicized weights, a blank with such a thin profile and so light in the hand will make you think your getting "a little bit of a rod" but really, you need to keep up with technology . . .

Correct, no blank is perfect and no, these are not rods to winch up fish fishing from a bridge . . . but for the majority of guys fishing Jersey's beaches where one walks on and then walks and casts (further than you ever have before) these rods are as close to perfect as you can get.

True, many have a fast action but there are moderate and even parabolic actions as well . . .

CTS 12ft 2 - 4-1/4oz Parabolic, full powercast with a 3oz DMag:

Bobby5cents, what sort of fishing are you doing, what are you looking for?

I have built many, sold many, and fished the CTS rods for almost 2 years.

They are by far one of the best blanks that I have built, fished. And yes they are 2 pc., so what.

I will agree that the first time I picked up this blank I was a bit skepitcule. (Somewhat the same feeling when holding my first graphite many many moons ago.)

When someone is looking for a new rod I always have them cast one of my rods before I build them one. All the comments are the same before and the looks are the same after trying it. I will add to this that I am building a lot of rods.

I know a little about distance casting, having been ranked nationally with the likes of Arra, Big Dave, and Big Lou McKitchen from Texas. You can really lean into these rods and get big distances.

Fishing with them is a dream. Getting older now I am always looking to "get lite" when fishing for many hours. I want a rod that will deliver a bait or a plug to where it has to go, to have the sensitivity to feel a lite tap and the ability to fight and land the big Bass when needed.

I am not trying to say that the fellas that don't like the feel of "a little bit of rod" are wrong, I will just say try it and then comment.

These blanks have a place no doubt but like anything else there is a lot of hype. The pure carbon thing is one of the hypes.. lots of high end blanks are getting away from glass scrim and now are using all graphite scrim.. so whatever. Besides glass scrim isn't a bad thing! I want one of these CTS's don't get me wrong and my comments are really me looking at how and where I fish.. I would never use one of these on a jetty! Open beach yeah they are fine I'm sure!! I just don't see where these are any better then what is already out there though. I have IM7 11' GSB Lamiglas blanks that weight 5.6oz and throw 3 1/2.. so weight wise.. Not really a big issue.

When you say large butt dia. what are you looking at?? I also don't get the whole thin diameter butt as being a superior trait in a blank. I can see where a blank with 1 1/4 butt as being..... a tad over the top!!

Again these blanks have a place for sure but for the $$ ?? There are blanks that can do what they do!! I understand the price I'm sure has alot to do with shipping them 1/2 way around the world. The 2pc thing is BS ,anyone who has used a "QUALITY" (Read: Not a Walmart cheap import) 2pc would agree. Today 2pc rods are made so well and I will say the CTS is one that feels like a one pc.. The colors.. Damn.. some have to go.. you have to addmitt! The see thru Cranberry color is real nice though!! You might get me seperated from my $$ for one but I have to many others ahead of these to do first and I'll let more of these get out there and get more feed back first.

sorry, went to bed early last night. the purpose of the rod i need is basic. Yes it will be used in the surf, but mainly in the lower hudson river and NY harbor, naturally from shore. piers boardwalks, the like. Yes we do catch stripers there, 2 already this year over 20#. Numerous over 30# and biggest to date 42#-47" (not this year) Fishing meathod is simple, 6nbait, mostly bunker which,we regularly snag. sometimes 4oz sometimes 8oz, usually 6. generally to catch fish, one needs to cast as far as possible. In ten years of experimenting, experience has shown this to be the case. have always used conventionals. currently using a 12 year old team diawa surf- 11'4" 5-8oz(dont know # rods in the car). Also sometimes use st croix 10'6" 4-6(usually 0vermatched) like the diawa because its light and thin, doesnt "fish" like it's 11-4. As time has progressed and finances have allowed, i have developed an annoying habit of collecting conventional casters, 12 to date abu, penn, diawa, shimanokooky.gif (avet sx is next). casting good equipment is just more enjoyable than casting something because "it gets the job done"(love casting the st croix) Figured it might be time to upgrade the rod.

View Postsorry, went to bed early last night. the purpose of the rod i need is basic. Yes it will be used in the surf, but mainly in the lower hudson river and NY harbor, naturally from shore. piers boardwalks, the like. Yes we do catch stripers there, 2 already this year over 20#. Numerous over 30# and biggest to date 42#-47" (not this year) Fishing meathod is simple, 6nbait, mostly bunker which,we regularly snag. sometimes 4oz sometimes 8oz, usually 6. generally to catch fish, one needs to cast as far as possible. In ten years of experimenting, experience has shown this to be the case. have always used conventionals. currently using a 12 year old team diawa surf- 11'4" 5-8oz(dont know # rods in the car). Also sometimes use st croix 10'6" 4-6(usually 0vermatched) like the diawa because its light and thin, doesnt "fish" like it's 11-4. As time has progressed and finances have allowed, i have developed an annoying habit of collecting conventional casters, 12 to date abu, penn, diawa, shimanokooky.gif (avet sx is next). casting good equipment is just more enjoyable than casting something because "it gets the job done"(love casting the st croix) Figured it might be time to upgrade the rod.

Not for nothing but it sounds like you need to shorten up a bit say a 10' or even 9'.