Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianZ

Knot Question TimS

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Sat. nite I decided I was gonna give your rigged rubber eels an honest to goodness shot. After working a pocket of a jetty with plugs for about ten minutes and no bumps I took off the teaser and put one on(rigged rubber) 1st cast a 25"er nearly yanked the rod outta my hand. the very next cast produced a weakfish ~4lbs. then the next cast produced a short fluke. after shuffling down the beach about 30 yds 1st again had the rod almost ripped from my hands by the fattest 27 1/2" that fish weighed every ounce of 13 lbs. It had a 17" girth eek.gif

Anyway I was just wondering what knot you use from dacron to tin? I tried finding it in the articles but no luck. Thnaks in advance smile.gif

Brian, ah, so now yer a believer in the rubber eels! wink.gif Welcome to the club, they work when nothing else will...sometimes.

Anyway, the knot is described, I believe clearly, in the Rigged Eel article....but in case you missed it, the following is an excerpt from that page wink.gif

The squid. Get the first one again, pick it's squid out and insert the point of the squid hook at a point just behind the gills, forward a little of the pectoral fins. Make sure the hook is going straight into the eel, and when it hits the spine, work the point around the spine and make absolutely certain that it comes out of the eel in the dead center of the top...there's a handy little line built into the eels on the top center...make sure the hook comes out on that line. Now, flip the whole thing upside down, and take 1 20" piece of bowstring, and tie on overhand knot behind the hook about ½ way up the hook bend of the squid hook, between the eel and the squid. Make this knot tight, leave the tag ends, this is just temporary. Flip it right side up. Take the two Dacron tags hanging out of the eels mouth. Make sure the eel is resting on the knot of bowstring and the knot is about ½ way up the hooks bend. Â*The top of the eel should be just about where the hook starts to make the curve to begin the bend of the hook. Now, pass the tag ends of Dacron in opposite directions through the hook eye protruding from the squid....pull them just enough to take the slack out. VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure the eel is straight, you can easily wrinkle the eel up by tightening the Dacron too much, you want the eel straight and no slack in the Dacron. Now, pass the tag ends of Dacron in opposite directions behind the hook eye and tie an overhand knot behind the hook eye, again, making sure the eel is straight, and the two lines from the eels mouth are even in length and both just barely straight, not tight yet. Take the tag ends and bring them over the top of the doubled line from the eels mouth and tie an overhand knot on top of the doubled lines. Pass the lines in opposite directions underneath the lines and repeat. Pass them on top one more time, tie two overhand knots, and trim carefully. The eel should be perfectly straight from this hook eye all the way to the tail, and it should now be snug. If it's not, grab the hook and the squid and pull and try to make the eel straight. If you followed along it will be straight, if it's not, it's no good, this is very important. Glue the knot on the eye protruding from the squid.

The whole article can be read at http://StripersOnline.com/Pages/Arti...gging_eels.htm

I still haven't incorporated the pictures I've taken with that article...but then again, there's a billion things that I'm falling behind on here as far as pictures go!?!? redface.gif Bear with me folks, I always catch up just in time to fall behind again, so I'm due wink.gif

TimS

Wow you have pics for that too? Woo hoo! I tried following that but found it very difficult, so I tied some of my own redface.gif I'm gonna rig up some tonight for tommorow for some jetties north of the fling zone. Should be awesome with the korkers I just got for my birthday biggrin.gif

Holy crap! There they are! Time to print!!!!

****Well not yet. Tim are there more pictures supposed to be up on the article? I hope so smile.gif I have patience, I'll wait biggrin.gif****

[This message has been edited by BassHunter (edited 09-05-2000).]

Ryan, yes, the rest of the process is also in pictures...but I ran outta time (fishing date wink.gif) and had to save the page as it was. The rest of the pictures will be added today when I get caught up on some stuff wink.gif

Here's the finished rigged eel..just to whet yer appetite...or the appetite of a LARGE

finished_rigged_eel.JPG

And to show ya just how small the eels I like to rig are..... step_6.JPG

There's like 22 pictures in the whole series...the page might load a little slow because of all those photos...but I'll bet it'll clear up some questions the text left ya with! wink.gif

TimS

Wow, your finished eel looks great!!! Can't wait to rig some plastic ones up!

Tried my luck at a jetty today with da korkers. (I really went to test the korkers out biggrin.gif) The eels I rigged up on my own swam with the "s" movement which made me very proud biggrin.gif

Ryan,

Rigging the rubber eels is a snap, you don't have to tie the tail hook in or the head to the squid and you don't even have lips to tie down. You'll find rigging a real eel is much more difficult than the rubber ones. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Yeah! I just got some 8" eels today in black and black over pink. Gonna rig a few up now. I can't belive all the steps in rigging a real one. It makes my head spin. I was gonna rig some real ones, but rubber one are alot easier to keep in my plug/jig/plastic/rigged eel bag (newest edition) I thought I clened it out now it weighs just as much if not more that the one I used to have. Mayebe I'll take some stuff out biggrin.gif

Those rigged eels work great,but I get scared to use them,they seem to call in blues from miles away frown.gif.I always have one in the bag,and they have paid off nice.They seem to cull the smaller fish'especially weakfish.But a 12 in blue will ruin it faster than you can say RAT BASTIGE smile.gif

Rick, rigged eels and them rat bastages...they are a match made in the nether regions! frown.gif I've had hundreds of real rigged ones lopped off before they got their first unicorn. No idea how many rubber ones met a similar fate frown.gif

I do know that my personal record, between snags, blues, weaks, and bass destroying/stealing rigged eels, one night I went through 18 of them?!?!? About 6 real ones, the rest rubber ones...talk about a lotta time/effort/$$ in one night of throwing the rigged wonders, whew!

TimS