Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason B

Garage Sale find.

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Was visiting my parents this weekend in Cape May. Went out Friday night fishing in Tuckerton and did not get back to their house until about 7:00 am. Tired as heck, but I saw my mom was heading out for her normal Saturday morning yard sale excursion, something she always dragged me along when I was a kid.

For old-time sake and nastalgia reasons, I asked to tag along. She grumbled and said said, "Get changed for you look like a bum-in-a-park, and don't ask to stop at no snooty Starbucks or I'll smack ya. I'll butter you a roll." There is nothing like having a Polish Trenton Broad for a mom!!! I of course, being a smart-A$$, said "Do you have any low-fat cream cheese instead of butter". She of course smacked me good upside the head. I'm 43 years old and there is something warm and fuzzy about getting smacked in the head.

Anyhoo, being 70 something, she drives like a madman. Zooming around every corner like Mario with one hand, as she read the classifieds with other. Now she claims she need the 72" TV for her eyes are getting bad, but for some reason she can easily read size 10 font in the classified as she is doing 60mph. She states that she already cirlce the good yard sales in the paper so she can read. I offered to read them for her, but being Trenton hardheaded Pole, she refused with her standard, "forget choes." Ya see standing alone in a dark marsh for six hours did not scare me, but her driving had me making a Rosary bead out the few sinkers I had left in my pocket.

Finally we got to the yard sale...and the part you have been waiting for.

The guy had typical old ratty surf rods with standard crusty old reels. Long wood handles with with salted Garcias'. There was one that had the reel covered up in tin foil. It looked like a 30 year old turkey....except for the protruding black knob and the tiniest smidgen of gold handle. Could it be a 704Z...salivation. I tried to be calm as I strolled over. As I unwrapped it, some dissapointment, not a 704, but a perfect 550ss. Great condition but it have a spiders nest. I asked how much. $5 for the rod and reel. I somewhat shaked. I unscrewed it and left the rod and saw this little 1893 pflueger also, in a pflueger bag also for $5. Not a bad find for $10.

She drove like a crazy like to 3 more yard sales and didn't even bother getting out. Now for you VS/Z heads who are saying, 'what's the big deal', us Penn guys love this S*&T so shut up.

So let's here some yardsale finds.

Great find brother. I'm a vs guy, also have penn's I love that reel. Still my alltime favorite is the penn 706z. I just had it drilled and the spool machined, bushing put in. LIKE IT MORE THAN THE VS 250'S I HAVE, SERIOUSLY!!!!! At this moment I'm looking for a 706 greenie. best reel on earth....... GREAT FIND AND GREAT STORY MY MOM DROVE LIKE A NUT TOO.....

Great find and this is from a VS/Z guy that appreciates what he started with and still has from a long time ago.

Thanks for sharing, get yer Mom to smack ya once for me. I miss that from my Mom.

New Paltz antique shop....2 mint 710 greenies amongst a bin of garbage for $5 bucks each....pops was pissed he didn't see them firsttongue.gif Asked if he had any more laying around but that was it!

Usually not any fishing treasures (though I do seem to have a knack for finding tackle boxes full of goodies) but one time I got a 20 gauge shotgun at one for 35 bucks. 3 inch mag even!

Not exactly a yard sale, but I was at the Hospice Flea Market (once-a-year, second-biggest flea market east of the Mississippi) and picked up a pair of near-mint red plate Jigmasters matched to a pair of yellow Penn Powerstick live bait rods for $10.

Evan

Yea she is a good broad, but I tell ya, you used to be a able to find a barrel full of good rods before ebay. To bad I didn't know what I was looking for, not to mention plugs probably were a dime a dozen.