Ditching stockingfoots in an emergency.

Rate this topic

fightingfish

View PostI'm not wanting to start a war of words, but could you please elaborate?

Trying to get out of your waders, trying to take your wading boots off and trying to cut a hole in your waders to "drain the water" are what I was referring to. Absolutely no need to do any of these things. Trying to take off your waders and boots while in the water will only use precious energy. Trying to cut a hole in your waders is not only dumb, it's dumb. Oh yeah, it's dangerous as well. Why worry about drowning when your femoral artery is severed?

Swimming with water-filled waders won't be a problem. Even with boots on it shouldn't be a problem. With water-filled waders you'll have to crawl out and lay down to drain the water out. Whether or not you'll have to ditch your equipment will depend on your situation.

U.S. Marines: No better friend, no worse enemy.

I have done the following to experience for myself the effects of wearing waders and going for a swim...

In an in-ground swimming pool I went for a swim wearing all of the following and in as many combinations as you can come up with...

Breathable and Neoprene bootfoot and stockingfoot waders with and without a wading belts. Sometimes with a fishing PFD.

-Hip Boots.

In addition to walking into the pool with each of these on and in various combinations, I also "fell" into the pool. I then proceeded to get into/ and out of these items while in the pool, swim around while wearing them and mostly surprisingly...FLOAT WHILE WEARING ALL OF THEM.

Yes, this is a controlled environment where I did not have to worry about current or water temperature, or waves bashing me against the rocks. But, I guarantee I am better off knowing what will happen once in the water and this will help me from panicking. I can float much easier with breathable waders filled up with water, exerting less energy, than would treading water without them. Fall in the river, swift current, point your feet downriver, and go. On the jetty/ groin/ rocks wearing waders...just plain idiotic.

Do not bother cutting a hole in your waders to "drain" them. Silly.

Did I look like a fool in a public swimming pool? You betchya! But I guarantee I am better off than someone afraid of looking silly for trying it on their own. Wear your waders in someone's pool sometime.

I must add I am in good health, I do not smoke, I am not overweight, and I lead an active lifestyle, and would like to think I eat healthy also. I think a HUGE part of the problem that many people fail to recognize is that no amount of technology will save you if you are in no condition to use it. We see garbage on TV and we think we can do it ourselves or that these life threatening situations will never happen to us. When we eventually find ourselves in a dire situation, most people simply watch it unfold around them because that's what they do best...they stand there and say " I can't believe this is happening", they watch it as if it were happening on TV.

Don't be afraid to look silly. Please go out there and hop in your pool for yourself. Go with friends, Use a small portion of your fishing club's money and rent out the local pool. Dear God, it would probably cost a fraction of the money to rent a pool for 4 hours than some clubs give as the cash award for the largest striped bass of the year. Bring waders, jackets, and boots. In all my years fishing the surf for Striped Bass, participating in fishing club tournaments, going to fundraisers, events, and annual dinners, why has there never been anything like this? What a wonderful idea? Has there? I have never heard of this...

Little bit of a rant...Maybe it will spur someone into taking action that may eventually save someone's life.

Life is too precious to fish ugly flies.

M. saxatilis

That's an interesting experiment to say the least. You think the breathables was trapped air or did you add the air? I'm a bit surprised they didn't "breathe".

To your question as to why more people don't do that, well, I have no good answer.

still counting...

Lee wulff did this experiment 30 years ago. He jumped off a bridge in an old pair of canvas waders into the river. Air will get trapped in your waders and help you to float. Do not cut a hole in them or try to get out of them. Save that energy for getting out of the water. Problems happen when people panic. The biggest issue is hitting your head or getting caught against something that forces you under the water (sweeper in a river). If you want to really insure your safety wear an inflatable life jacket.

"The club tournaments are NOT the problem, in fact the clubs are part of the solution, helping to organize us recreational fishermen.
It's the - kill every one I catch, the lookymee tackle shop video guys, and especially the charter boats, that are the real problem on the rec side." Sudsy
"I object to fishing tournaments less for what they do to fish than to fisherman. They have invaded one of the last refuges of civilized man, transmuted a noble art into something it isn't and shouldn't be... To speak nothing of the repulsive butchery and waste." - Ted Williams

So uhhhh.... riddle me this. What in gods name are you gonna do when you pull your waders down to around your knees. Because unless you fold them inside out there is no way your pulling them off your feet.

At that point your now a human drift sock.

buy a good wading belt. Not a one that you pull the tag up one way and down the other. As they will loosen when soaked.

A few years back I took a spill at wire hole srny. I floated like a cork for about a quarter mile until I had footing.

If you guys ever try to wade up to your armpits it feels like your moonwalking.

The only time I'd say to ever get out of your waders is if you have to climb something and they did happen to fill up.

If you get stuck in rhe mud take both your wading boots off not your waders. ANd make sure to un lace both boots and don't take a step until both feet are out of the boots. If you have one free foot and one in the boot your freed foot is guaranteed to plunch deeper before your foot comes out of the boot.

Oh and like someone else mentioned "Don't drop the rod"

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

Russ -

Yes, I believe that all of the air trapped within the waders and fibers of the clothes I was wearing provided sufficient buoyancy. More surprising however was the buoyancy of the boots themselves! The soles on the bottom of some of your wading boots are pretty dense rubber. Especially bootfoot waders.

Stripedbass50 and Scooby Doo -

Why never let go of the rod? I can understand there might be certain scenarios where stepping into water and topping your waders might warrant holding onto your fishing pole. After all, you may only be a backstroke away from water that you can stand up in or perhaps even in very calm water. But if you fall off of a groin or jetty and there is no shallow water for a hundred yards or so, are you suggesting still holding onto the rod? Nuts!

That's like the woman shooting the home video of the boat sinking while she's on it! Drop the dam camera and save yourself!

Same holds true for a cut in a sandbar or some other sand structure in the surf. I am not talking about a drop off a few feet from the wash, but rather if you were wading out into the surf zone.

Are you suggesting under those conditions a person never let go of their fishing pole? That's just plumb crazy! I would hate to learn someone could have saved their lives if only they had dropped their Van Staal or Zee Bass ladened fishing pole in the drink. Part of the title of this thread is...in an emergency. Drop the dam camera!

Can you clarify for me under what circumstances and why someone would not want to drop their rod? For the freshwater enthusiast, what fishing pole is stout enough to be used as a wading staff or enable me to right myself? Are we talking about a staff like Moses used to part the Red Sea? Heck, why swim when I can walk out?

Life is too precious to fish ugly flies.

I had a bad situation in Montauk under the lighthouse around 3am around eight years ago. I was fishing with a buddy(thank god). Bailing stripers, was'nt paying attention to the worsening conditions, I look up there's a monster rougue wave right on us. I could'nt get out of there in time(my buddy did). I was picked up by the wave deposited upside down between 2 boulders and was under water as each wave came in, I had neoprene stocking foots on with the korkers, also a wader belt and surf belt on,very little water got in. The problem was getting stuck. My advice is to fish with someone, if I was alone I would be dead for sure, it took him about a minuete to free me from my situation. Anyplace is dangerous, if it looks bad it is, if it does'nt ,it can get dangerous. I have helped 3 people from bad situations in montauk over the last 20 years and am surprised its that little a number..........I'm getting a PFD this year, Seems like a great sense of security........... Be safe out there........

"Dont elect a scumbag, no riots, so easy even the alt right should be able to figure it out." - numbnuts

The idea of going to a pool and train yourself to swim and or float with your gear on is a GREAT IDEA. Thanks for the idea......Might look stupid but looking stupid in a coffin or urn is stupider................

"Dont elect a scumbag, no riots, so easy even the alt right should be able to figure it out." - numbnuts

View PostThe idea of going to a pool and train yourself to swim and or float with your gear on is a GREAT IDEA. Thanks for the idea......Might look stupid but looking stupid in a coffin or urn is stupider................

or better yet, do this at the beach, with waves, during the day. At the very least you'll know what to expect. Might as well say it once more: its very important to stay calm, don't waste energy. Personally, I'd just wear a wetsuit (float like a cork!).

View PostI have done the following to experience for myself the effects of wearing waders and going for a swim...

In an in-ground swimming pool I went for a swim wearing all of the following and in as many combinations as you can come up with...

Breathable and Neoprene bootfoot and stockingfoot waders with and without a wading belts. Sometimes with a fishing PFD.

-Hip Boots.

In addition to walking into the pool with each of these on and in various combinations, I also "fell" into the pool. I then proceeded to get into/ and out of these items while in the pool, swim around while wearing them and mostly surprisingly...FLOAT WHILE WEARING ALL OF THEM.

Yes, this is a controlled environment where I did not have to worry about current or water temperature, or waves bashing me against the rocks. But, I guarantee I am better off knowing what will happen once in the water and this will help me from panicking. I can float much easier with breathable waders filled up with water, exerting less energy, than would treading water without them. Fall in the river, swift current, point your feet downriver, and go. On the jetty/ groin/ rocks wearing waders...just plain idiotic.

Do not bother cutting a hole in your waders to "drain" them. Silly.

Did I look like a fool in a public swimming pool? You betchya! But I guarantee I am better off than someone afraid of looking silly for trying it on their own. Wear your waders in someone's pool sometime.

I must add I am in good health, I do not smoke, I am not overweight, and I lead an active lifestyle, and would like to think I eat healthy also. I think a HUGE part of the problem that many people fail to recognize is that no amount of technology will save you if you are in no condition to use it. We see garbage on TV and we think we can do it ourselves or that these life threatening situations will never happen to us. When we eventually find ourselves in a dire situation, most people simply watch it unfold around them because that's what they do best...they stand there and say " I can't believe this is happening", they watch it as if it were happening on TV.

Don't be afraid to look silly. Please go out there and hop in your pool for yourself. Go with friends, Use a small portion of your fishing club's money and rent out the local pool. Dear God, it would probably cost a fraction of the money to rent a pool for 4 hours than some clubs give as the cash award for the largest striped bass of the year. Bring waders, jackets, and boots. In all my years fishing the surf for Striped Bass, participating in fishing club tournaments, going to fundraisers, events, and annual dinners, why has there never been anything like this? What a wonderful idea? Has there? I have never heard of this...

Little bit of a rant...Maybe it will spur someone into taking action that may eventually save someone's life.

Been there and did it and its so true in what he wrote be safe every1 all good things 2 you all and try waders in a pool or in some shallow waterhighfive.gif

Pulled a guy back to the rocks about 30 yrs. ago at the old 12th street jetty on LBI. He got washed off by a large wave. I couldn't get to him to help without getting washed in myself.

I did help get him in when he extended his rod tip to me. I was able to pull him back by his rod as he climbed up the rocks.