Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kishfing

okuma axeon or diawa emcast?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

First off, welcome to the site.

Second, I'm curious as to what you are catching that can run up to #100. Tarpon?

Third, I have never used either but I think I'd feel a bit nervous with either.

If I'm not mistaken both are graphite bodied, high bearing count reels. And so I'd be worried of frame flex, and all the things that come with it.

Also the high bearing count in such a moderately priced reel is alarming in that the bearings may be supporting weak parts or construction.

To support my point the emblem pro has fewer bearings than the emcast, yet is more expensive.

I'm not trying to bash either reel and quite frankly I don't believe that I have the right to do so with out personal experience, but looking at the charecteristics of each, I have reason for concern, especially with "alot if fish from 30#-#100".

I hope that some one's personal experience with either will prove otherwise.

I picked up the Emcastplus6000 over the winter for bait in the surf.

Looks like it's built well as I have it apart already. However for consistent use on 30-100lb fish this would not have been my choice.

Personally I would have been looking at conventional for fish that size.

I picked up an Axeon 90 last year. It's a AXS 90. It holds 400 yrds. of 12# test. It's a good casting reel for heavy plugs. I handled big blues and bass no problem. icon14.gif

I have a Daiwa emcast (green one) and love it. Great drag, long casting and the reel cranks in heavy sinkers and fish with ease (especially on a 10ft OM). Though I haven't been catching fish in the 100 lb range on it...so I might be out of my league discussing its application for that. Between the two though, I'd stick with Daiwa.