fisher6280

Fly Rod Grips

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

Re: the material that Bob (Foulhook) was thinking of using in an earlier post; some of the TFO Deer Creek Spey rods are now using it.

Shows how it would look in a full build:

temple-fork-deer-creek.jpg

On 1/7/2019 at 4:07 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Just ask Bob.

As yet I have never seen anything with same qualities as cork. 

EVA just sucks big time.

Alternatives I have seen are composites and therefore much heavier than cork.

Not beyond the wit of man but so far no cigar.

oly

Mike,

Bob was nice enough to get back to me.    Basically what I had surmised,  he found a source for natural cork and let the development of his compressed cork lapse.

Per his PM.   " I ended up finding a good source for floor grade and never went further with expanded cork. "

HT

On 1/8/2019 at 1:36 AM, Killiefish said:

Re: the material that Bob (Foulhook) was thinking of using in an earlier post; some of the TFO Deer Creek Spey rods are now using it.

Shows how it would look in a full build:

temple-fork-deer-creek.jpg

Hi Killie,

Thanks for posting this.   I like the look and will continue with my experimentation for compressed cork composites to see where that leads.

HT

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/8/2019 at 6:32 AM, crunch said:

Thank You HT for the research you've done! Also you have very nice machinery :) 

Esa

Thanks Esa,  Having the correct tools for the job make things so much easier and much more fun !

In preparation of getting ready to test my yoga block machined blanks I experimented with another way to machine my rough cork and rubberized cork blanks to near finish sizes from my CAD model using the same CNC router instead of the way I did it originally with a lathe and Dremel grinder.   

With the right fixture I'm able to machine both the tapered outside and tapered inside,  (ie: tapers in opposite directions),  with just one setup / one fixture.    When completed I'll have a way of easily making any cork combination for any grip from a master model where I can machine individual corks to close to finish dimensions in under 5 minutes per cork, ready for gluing.  My video shows 2 roughing cuts and one finish cut but I was overly conservative with this setup.   One rough and one finish cut should do the trick.  I know Billy, the rod Guru over on the Rod Building Forum, suggested that, (paraphrasing), I'm silly doing it this way but I the sense of satisfaction I get from overall results makes it the right choice for me. 

I did an experiment with both a rubberized cork and a natural cork with this setup and results were very favorable per the video below.  One nice aspect of prep'ing this way is that I can control the ID very closely,  matched to the blank ID to control the gap and thus the amount of epoxy layer between cork & blank.   Controlling the glue gap and eliminating voids from hand reaming will minimize excess epoxy on the two grips and I'm sure will negate the minimal increase that might be incurred in weight should I decide to build with composite cork from my yoga block.

Once I purchase a new "lollipop" cutter with a longer shank I'll be able to tackle machining my new  1 inch long test composite cork blanks to see how this process works with composite cork..   With a total of 45 combination 1/2" cork and rubberized corks to get ready for my new TH build I'm excited to think that the grunt work might end up being a "piece of cake"  :)  for this build.  

HT

20190112_165529.jpg.87a493d394f5203c257c9fffb594fbb7.jpg

20190112_182758.jpg.5e31b421cd31c0fc86993e108b91cfe2.jpg

CorkShaping_02.mp4

Edited by HillTop

Hockey tape, a trick I learned from Gilbey, the original cork grip was way too small so there is actually some other tennis foam wrap underneath as well to add bulk, that said, I like the feel of the hockey tape

20181018_124213.jpg

Quite many competition casters put tennis/squash racket tape to handle and some even vulcanising tape. Obviously it needs to be replaced after a while but I think actual handle under it could be glass or carbon fiber coated foam. I might try it on my next single hand rod build?

Esa

Edited by crunch

7 mins ago, crunch said:

Quite many competition casters put tennis/squash racket tape to handle and some even vulcanising tape. Obviously it needs to be replaced after a while but I think actual handle under it could be glass or carbon fiber coated foam. I might try it on my next single hand rod build?

Esa

I originally used the racket to build up the size and it felt great, but the racket grip wore out very fast and retained fishy smell, that's why I started to cover it with hockey tape

Edited by ferret

29 mins ago, ferret said:

I originally used the racket to build up the size and it felt great, but the racket grip wore out very fast and retained fishy smell, that's why I started to cover it with hockey tape

Did it last one trip? If yes then it is cheap to replace when buying bulk only about 15 cents for single hand rod if my calculation went right. Of course it is against sustainable lifestyle :(

Esa

Here are a couple of other rods that are using the newer composite cork and synthetic materials -- not an endorsement from me necessarily as I still prefer real cork.  TFO and Loop seem to be using these materials on more and more of their rods.

TFO-new-cork-pattern.jpg

TFO-tough-fly-rod.jpg