fisher6280

Fly Rod Grips

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

I think as well as being light, cork has become just a more traditional matl. to use. So people exspect to see it. You know how traditional fly fisherman are. They really don't like to much change. Me personally. I just don't like the look of foam rubber.smile.gif

Syncorkâ„¢ - "Reshaping the Future of Fishing"

syncork.jpgWith the rising cost and the decline in the quality of organic cork, custom rod builders and fishing rod manufacturers have long been seeking a viable replacement for organic cork. The performance factors of any viable replacement needs to exceed natural cork's durability and shape ability while offering a wider spectrum of cosmetic options at a reasonable value.

Patent pending Syncorkâ„¢ has reached all of these goals and more. It's promising to reshape the future of fishing rod handles into a whole new world with improved function and comfort that organic cork can't provide.

The cellular make up of organic cork and Syncorkâ„¢ is very similar, however, natural cork has a certain level of moisture in it plus it takes on the moisture of its surrounding atmospheric conditions. The repeated process of absorbing moisture and drying out breaks down its organic cells making it brittle and like most organic material it can deteriorate, rot, and it can also become a host to mold and mildew.

Syncorkâ„¢ on the other hand is plastic and can not hold moisture. It's not organic and is not subject to rotting, molding or mildewing. It is extremely inert plus physically lighter than organic cork. It can withstand UV rays as well as accelerated weather temperatures (both hot and cold). In addition, it is extremely chemical resistant to a variety of petroleum products, acids, and alkalines. Pound for pound, gram for gram, Syncorkâ„¢ offers cork like characteristics with far superior performance and design capabilities.

The surface of Syncorkâ„¢ can be made to be as smooth as an organic cork handle, but smoothness can translate to 'slippery when wet'. One of the many features and benefits of Syncork is that the handle surface can be textured providing a powerful non-slip grip that fisherman greatly prefer over natural cork.

In the future Syncorkâ„¢ will offer a variety of solid and mixed colors, shapes and textures. To begin, the first available color is black and the reasons are logical. Natural cork is a tan or blonde color that quickly shows dirt and its age. A heavily used black Syncork handle will look as black and as new as the day you got it for years and years!

To date Syncork â„¢ is made into Syncork rings used by custom rod builders but we're hard at work to produce pre-formed handles for fishing rod manufacturers and the custom rod building market.

Syncorkâ„¢, Get a Grip on it!

Al617,

Jury is still out for me. This is syncork talks a good game but does it really deliver. Some cork will deteriate like it says but heck my fly rods some of them are over 20 years old and the cork is still ok. Now I don't kid glove my salt water fly rods I swim with them at times and they get a bit of a bashing. I have seen synthetci materials for fly handles come and go. I do hope this stuff is as good as they are claiming it to be. Bit wary when they try to pass off Black as being sensible . Not many Fly boys will like a black handle this is what normally gos on Surf rods. I would like to see some of this stuff and try it out.

Key for me is it really must be no heavier than cork. It must be as grippable as cork when wet. It must feel as warm as cork when you are wet and cold. vitally important it must transmit feel like good cork does. Ie it must be as hard as cork with that little bit of surface give. If it can do all of these things then it would probably be cork. LOL There are good burl alternatives right now but they are too heavy for me.

Eva foam and similar grip making material for fly handles is just crap. Too soft you get cramps in your wrists and loss of power. You lose accuracy to.

Fly Boys do tend to be a bit traditional when it comes to their rods but cork is still right now the best material for handles.

I build rods and this is the first time I have heard of this synthetic cork. Builders have been crying out for alternatives for a long time, if it's that good why the silence. Not seen a mention of it on the rod building forum.

Mike

Mike, you know whats funny now that you mention it, I did first hear of this stuff in the rod building forum, maybe a year or so ago but have not heard anything since then. I saw the same write up above at that time and there isnt much more information on the stuff today, so who knows if its even being sold.

truth be told I have no major problems with regular cork, other than its not my favorite to work with and the quality is spotty. I figure no harm in trying new things, even if the new things end up getting stripped off, thrown in the dumpster and replaced by old things for the finished product cwm27.gif

Hope you have a nice trip over this year, good luck!

-Al beers.gif

Al617,

Jury is still out for me. This is syncork talks a good game but does it really deliver. Some cork will deteriate like it says but heck my fly rods some of them are over 20 years old and the cork is still ok. Now I don't kid glove my salt water fly rods I swim with them at times and they get a bit of a bashing. I have seen synthetci materials for fly handles come and go. I do hope this stuff is as good as they are claiming it to be. Bit wary when they try to pass off Black as being sensible . Not many Fly boys will like a black handle this is what normally gos on Surf rods. I would like to see some of this stuff and try it out.

Key for me is it really must be no heavier than cork. It must be as grippable as cork when wet. It must feel as warm as cork when you are wet and cold. vitally important it must transmit feel like good cork does. Ie it must be as hard as cork with that little bit of surface give. If it can do all of these things then it would probably be cork. LOL There are good burl alternatives right now but they are too heavy for me.

Eva foam and similar grip making material for fly handles is just crap. Too soft you get cramps in your wrists and loss of power. You lose accuracy to.

Fly Boys do tend to be a bit traditional when it comes to their rods but cork is still right now the best material for handles.

I build rods and this is the first time I have heard of this synthetic cork. Builders have been crying out for alternatives for a long time, if it's that good why the silence. Not seen a mention of it on the rod building forum.

Mike[/quote

View Postsorry about the caps. just wondering... every fly rod i've seen has a cork grip. Are there any other materials used for fly rod grips? foam grips? rubber grips?

Just FYI .. one alternative that is really nice for decorative rods is birch .. probably not suitable for saltwater, but this looks really sweet:

p400315441-3.jpg

http://www.eclecticguy.com/2009/04/0...-fly-rod-grip/

(search birch bark fly rod grip)

AL617,

Must have been posted up when I was in one of my " I am not going to get involved on the rod building forum Periods"

Can't say I am surprised that it has dissapeared off at least my radar. Bloke Rods had some sythetic stuff at a fly show in the Uk in March. It seems okish even though the colour looks a bit well, cacky if you know what I mean.

It's not until you have fished it a while that all is revealed.

Like you I hate todays cork so hard to find stuff that lives up to the high cost. But cork still is the best of what we have in my opinion right now. I built an Xi2 10 wt with all rubberised cork handle and it just did not work out very well. way too heavy and it gets very smooth with wear and is slippery as an eel or a Polatician. I goit to get this thing stripped down and re built for May 21.

I have seen some nice handles made in all sorts of wood and even bark but for me they are too heavy and too slippy even though they can look fabulous.

Mike

Mike, I also glued up a handle of rubberised cork, but could not bring myself to put it on a rod. I have pretty rough callused hands and still that stuff felt like it was going to eat through them to the bone. Oh well, cork it is for now I suppose.

Maybe next time I will try to make one like HL does heart.gif

British rod Centurion uses composite grips which is said to feel good and does not get slippery even better than cork, slightly heavier though. I recall reading they are available for builders already or soon.

Please report back of prizes, sizes, weight etc if you find detailed information!

Loop uses cork/rubber composite on some their rods but I do not know is that material for sale anywhere.

View Postsorry about the caps. just wondering... every fly rod i've seen has a cork grip. Are there any other materials used for fly rod grips? foam grips? rubber grips?

I have custom sage XP with a turned Turkish walnet grip, with a hollowed out center and internal cork rings. Light enough and comfortable