Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew9745

Re-wiring a Super Strike

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Anyone ever do it??

I wanted to change out some rusty hooks on a SS darter today, when I twisted around the belly swivel it broke... I'd like to rewire it but cant figure out how without breaking the nose to get the wire out..

View PostAnyone ever do it??

I wanted to change out some rusty hooks on a SS darter today, when I twisted around the belly swivel it broke... I'd like to rewire it but cant figure out how without breaking the nose to get the wire out..

They are molded around the wire. So it may almost be impossible to redo the wire. My only suggestion would be to heat the wire up so you may loosen the plastic. But then rewiring and securing the wire might be tougher than you think. plus you will disfigure the body.

If I were you I'd scape heap the darter and buy a new one. They are reasonable priced and the work you would have to put in would be more than the plugs worth.

I read somewhere, and I am not advocating this, that plastic Atom40s used to be rewired by connecting the plug to a car battery - one end to the + and one end to the -. The wire acts as a short and starts to heat up like a fuse would. I don't know what this does to the car battery though.

Oh, like Winch said, toss it and buy a new one.

I re-wired a SS needle once - total PIA. Not only was the plastic molded around the wire as already suggested, I seem to remember that the wire (and therefore the hole) wasn't perfectly straight. I eventually got the new wire in, but it was WAY more work than it was worth.

Ask yourself: if the belly swivel is gone, what about the rest of the wiring? Remove the hooks and make it a practice plug. Plugs cast different from sinkers so practice over grass with what you'd throw over water.

Or seal the hole and use it with a teaser.

View PostI re-wired a SS needle once - total PIA. Not only was the plastic molded around the wire as already suggested, I seem to remember that the wire (and therefore the hole) wasn't perfectly straight. I eventually got the new wire in, but it was WAY more work than it was worth.

what he said^^^..its much easier to buy new one....

I've heard of using the car battery when trying to rewire an atom. If the car is running I don't thing you'll damage the battery, shouldn't take long to heat the wire. The atom and the ss are different types of plastic and what works for the atom may not work for the ss. Try it or just buy a new ss.

Rewiring an SS needle is not as difficult as you might think if you take into account that the wire threads through a channel molded into the dorsal side of the plug and follows it's curved contour and not through the center as in wood plugs. The most difficult part is lining up the swivel loop side to side so that the wire captures the loop when it passes through the swivel pocket.

Marc