Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BridgeTender

jetty stick

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about getting a 9' surf rod (never had a surf rod before) , should I get a 1 piece or 2 piece ? Does it matter ? Thanks in advanced.

Doesn't matter much these days - once upon a time, you were giving up some performance and feel for the convenience of owning a two pc rod...with today's technology and materials, not any more.

It matters to me. If you have to have a 2 piece, than that's what you need to get. If you have the means to transport a 9' 1pc, you'd probably be happier with that. I have 2 rods that I use on a regular basis for drifting the jetty, an XRA1084 for bucktails and an SWS696 for plugs. Both are 1pc.

I'll have to check the Lami's out Local66, could I find those locally down there around Vero/Melbourne ?

Nice surf rods are hard to find over here in the Bay Area.

Decent surf/jetty rods are almost impossible to find anywhere in Florida. You're probably going to have to build it yourself, or have it built by someone in your area. Your other option would be to go with a St. Croix, your local shop could possibly order one for you if it's not something they keep on the shelves.

I will have to disagree with you 66. As a fishermen, distance caster, and rod builder, the first for 50+ and the last two for 30+ there is not a difference in one or two piece rods.

When I say no difference I mean as far as feel, action, and ability to cast as far and handle fighting and landing fish. About everything we look for. Years ago no custom rod builder would build on a two piece. With todays technology I will venture to say the choice would come down to your personnel ability to transport it would effect your choice

View PostI will have to disagree with you 66. As a fishermen, distance caster, and rod builder, the first for 50+ and the last two for 30+ there is not a difference in one or two piece rods.

When I say no difference I mean as far as feel, action, and ability to cast as far and handle fighting and landing fish. About everything we look for. Years ago no custom rod builder would build on a two piece. With todays technology I will venture to say the choice would come down to your personnel ability to transport it would effect your choice

You can disagree with me all you want, it makes no difference to me. Being old doesn't necessarily make you wise, so keep those numbers in your pocket, they won't impress me. A ferrule is a ferrule, and it will always be a flat spot in the action and the weakest part of a blank.

Yea old don't mean crap, i am still dumb as a rock at my agecwm27.gif let me get this right 50+30=...

are you telling us you are in your 80s somethingicon24.gif

and still out fishing for sharks...damn it manhighfive.gif

but on a side note...i have to agree with Local, i have two piece and one piece

and i am able to feel more with a one piece.

and if i had a way to travel with one piece rods...thats all i would get, at least IMO they feel better..

Agree to disagree gentleman, thats what forums are all aboutbeers.gif

Couldn't agree more, and couldn't agree less.

The real answer depends on the rod, it's maker, and the type of reel.

Multi piece fly rods have been around for years, and fly casting is more dependent on rod action than say a spin or conventional rod, so the argument about flat spots is probably subjective at best.

Saying that though, the flat spot comment is probably more applicable to a conventional overhead rod with a slow moderate action than a spin rod.

My advice is to go to a B&T shop and ask if you can test out both.

View PostI will have to disagree with you 66. As a fishermen, distance caster, and rod builder, the first for 50+ and the last two for 30+ there is not a difference in one or two piece rods.

View PostYea old don't mean crap, i am still dumb as a rock at my agecwm27.gif let me get this right 50+30=...

are you telling us you are in your 80s somethingicon24.gif

Umm. Yeah. I think Rusty's saying he's been fishing for 50+ years, and oh, about 20 years into it, he started doing the distance casting and rod building thing... while still fishing.

Your logic fails biggrin.gif

Regarding 1 or 2 pieces, I guess you could look at the ferule as a point of weakness and/or aggravation (getting stuck/twisting after a few casts), but nowadays most 2 piece rods tend to stay together pretty well unless you're torquing the rod tip a lot during the cast. You could remedy that by altering your form or simply adding a bit of tape to the two pieces after they're joined.

As mentioned earlier, a 1 piece rod is great if you can transport it.

Thanks for all of the info guys , I'm gonna stick with the 8' Tidemaster for my jetty/inlet fishing.

I'm headed up to Pensacola Beach soon,may pick up a 9' pier/kingfish rod up there just for kicks.