Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John M

Fly line maintenance

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Tim, got tot thinking last night on the drive home...what should I do about maintaining my fly lines over the winter? They really did not shoot all that well last night, mostly cause they were cold but I noticed that before they dont seem as slick when I try (badly usualy) to shoot the line.......BTW I am still coldI am not sure though caus eI am still numb....man was it cold out there.......

John, what a drag this is! I got about a thousand things to do today and the main forum is not showing any prior posts! They are all still there, rest assured, but I cannot get the board to reindex all the existing posts. There's a good chance it will fix itself as the date changes to 12/25/99...but I would like to have it fixed RIGHT NOW!!!

As to your fly line question, I use 303 Lubricant on my fly lines...it's the one Orvis sells for $5 for a couple little pre wet wipes...I got a 14oz bottle of it for $6 from some on-line source who's name escapes me. Search for 303 Lubricant and you should score, that's how I did it.

At least my toes are feeling a bit more normal today, they hurt even as I fell asleep last night! It was beyond cold last night, even my freezer was envious! smile.gif

TimS

Tim

While your on the subject, do you sell or able to get the little box used to clean the lines? You told me of it once before but i haven't seen it yet. If you can get it i'll pick it up with more of those snake flyssmile.gif

Thanks

Walt

Walt, yes I can get the little boxes to clean the fly lines. Next time I order, I'll pick up a couple of them. Still got about 3 dozen 1/0 snake flies, but I need to whip up a few dozen more, maybe even some longer ones, I snagged a spearing the other night that was nearly 6inches long!

Merry Christmas!

TimS

Tim, you da' man, it looks like I got the basics for alittle tying.....looks like we will be doing a little tying 101 when i get back......again thanks...truck is loaded up off to the LARGE tomorrow morning smile.gif talk to you upon my return....

Another solution for winter storage of fly lines is the use of "Glide" a simular product to 303. I usually take the lines off, prep them with Glide, wait 24 hours and buff the line, then wrap the lines around a large plastic trash can so the coils are large. Then when needed I can take the can out in the yard, unspool and straighten the lines, and spool them back on the reel buffing them as I go.

Fly lines are a significant investment and this little tip has made some of my lines still act like new for many years.

Hope this has helped.

John, I thought you might find in that box just a few things to get you started! Your wife said "everything" you'd need....did I miss anything? wink.gif I even doubled up on the tails you'd burn up quickest...I think even tripled up on the white ones! A gross of black brass eyes, scissors, an ounce of herl, body wrap, couple ounces of feathers, a couple cases of thread, 500 stainless hooks...God, I can't even remember what else was in there..but I remember that it was everything you'd need to get rolling! Thank da' wife, I am just the messenger!

Good luck w/ LARGE, I'm headed out tonight after the "remaining"!

Jim, I used to use Glide, it's nice. I think the 303 is about as good, it's not better, but I don't think it lacks in any way. It is a bit "wetter", supposedly it penetrates into the line and preserves it. Dunno, my lines don't last too long anyway, they get beat up pretty bad on rocks, docks, pilings, bridges...my floating line looks like I worked it over with a cheese grater...but it still works!

You guys still into fish, this is the week of the supposed sojourn south to shake up a few of your bass...how's it look?

TimS

Tim, Monday evening will be my first outing in quite awhile. Did the family thing this weekend and my youngest has a dentist appointment monday am so that is why I am not on the road for there right now. I will let you know. Maybe Poppy or Plug might of hit the jetty this weekend already. I never believe our local shop reports they are usually old news.

303 Lubricant, I have done a bunch of searches and as yet have not found it at all. I think I have seen every lubircant know to man except this one......any ideas who makes it? Alternate solutions? In the mean time I will continue looking......

------------------

John M

I checked them out, the order form does not work and the phone numbers on the page are disconnected....I guess they dont exixt any longer......I did find it at seriousauto.com 16 dollars including shipping for 16oz.....

------------------

John M

[This message has been edited by John M (edited 01-18-2000).]

Posts from 20 years ago! Read the box the line comes in and use the treatment recommended for the line.Back 20 years ago most were PVC lines.Now they are quite different from then.Stay away from degreaser detergents[dish washing liquids].