Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnS

Tagged Question Littoral Society NJ

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Fellow ****, I caught a fish last week that had a loop tag on it. Removed the tag and foudn that it came from NJ (caught fish in CT). All it says on the tag is:

Littoral Soc. highlands N.J. 07732

Is that address sufficient enough to send to seems incomplete to me. Only other thing on the tag is a tag#. Any help appreciated.

Side Note: Have caught quite of few stripers that came from the Hudson River. Those tags were self explanatory from what I remember.

Thanks,

JohnS

It will get there. They office in on Sandy Hook but Highlands must be thier mailing address. It fun to catch fish that have been tagged! It's also fun to tag them. I've caught 5 tagged bass.

It will get there. Their office in on Sandy Hook but Highlands must be thier mailing address. It fun to catch fish that have been tagged! It's also fun to tag them. I've caught 5 tagged bass.

That address will work, I've sent in quite a few and they usually get the information back pretty quickly along with a silly little fishy patch.

I fish the backwaters in NJ a lot were most think 90% of the stripers are residents, but of the 6 tags I've sent in only 1 was tagged in NJ.

Does anyone know if the state still tags stripers?

Does anyone know if the state still tags stripers?

I'm not sure...I've never caught a bass tagged by the state of NJ...which would be odd if they tagged them here smile.gif I've caught bass tagged by ALS, Hudson River, NMFS and one that was tagged and stocked in the Chesapeake...but never one tagged by NJ Fish&Game. Did the state ever tag bass in NJ?

TimS

I also caught a tagged fluke yesterday . What do I do with this ? Its tagged with the same tag as the original poster.

any help is appreciated

Deetongue.gif

I stopped buying and using thier tags when they didn't support the subways carsfor jersey reefs from New York several years ago . Where do they stand on the new batch of cars?

Someone needs to teach those taggers how to properly tag..I've seen this one poor bass with a yellow ALS tag in the same spot for about a month now. He's got a tag that is real deep in his tail with all kinds of growth on it...poor guy can barely swim. I almost had to give him a mercy shot with the gun, but he's too small.

It's pretty cool to see that the same fish is staking out the same ground for that long though.

I caught 2 of the "littoral soc." tagged stripers from the shore of the Merrimack last week. Both fish were small (around 20") so I just released them. I didn't think they'd want the tag back from a schoolie.

I guess next time I'll clip it off and send it in.

on this topic,

last year at keansburg pier, one guy caught a keeper with a tag, this other fisherman told him that he is supposed to keep the tag and return the fish to the ocean, but the guy kept it.

So release the fish without the tag? or keep the fish?

I didnt know that I was suppose to remove the tag. It was also from the littoral soc highlands NJ and had another number on it. It was 22 inchs. I caught it in the river in newburyport

View Poston this topic,

last year at keansburg pier, one guy caught a keeper with a tag, this other fisherman told him that he is supposed to keep the tag and return the fish to the ocean, but the guy kept it.

So release the fish without the tag? or keep the fish?

Either one is fine, assuming the fish is a legal size. ALS isinterested in the size and weight of the fish, and where caught- sending in the tag with this info is the whole point of the exercise.

If you want to release the fish and you can write down the tag number, just tell them that along with the size and weight (if you can get it) and when / where caught.

Google their website or use the link above- it'll explain the whole thing.