Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Toggin Battle Royal - Results

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Check out the rod building board for all the details. It was an incredible battle.

My fingers look like swiss cheese this morning. Looks like I will not be wrapping rods for a few days.

Dubs had the biggest fish - by a couple pounds - up to the side of the boat when the mate flipped it into the air with the net trying to net it from behind - looked by others to be about 9#. Landed, Alberto had the biggest at 7# 3oz, I had #2, then Crash, then BrianZ, then probably another of Alberto's - Kooky Al speaks to the fish and will be fishing with his lips duck taped next time wink.gif

The numbers pool, much as was suspected, took some fun out of the trip - while many fish were handing the mates to be measured, which was the rule - as promised, I even bought nice aluminum measuring boards - there were a large number of fish just flopped back in the water and counted without being measured. Some 17" fish looked 15", some 15" fish looked 17" - that's why we decided in advance that every single fish would be measured before they were counted. When it came down to 1 or 2 fish separating the first 4 or 5 places, those unmeasured but counted fish became very important - too much pressure between friends - we won't do it this way next time, that's for sure smile.gif

The count at the end of the day of suspected 16" plus fish (I say suspected because there were a lot of fish that were never measured - the fault of no one really, the rules weren't made clear to the mates in the beginning - so it's perhaps my fault for not telling them and the captainicon15.gif)

Al G - 16

Alberto - 15

TimS - 14

Crash - 13

It's easy to see how 1 or 2 or 6 unmeasured but counted fish could be very important. Even the mates, trying to be "helpful" weren't measuring them correctly - I had 3 or 4 that I watched the eager young mate measure that he said "counted" but I reminded him that the nose had to be on zero and the tail over 16" at the same timesmile.gif - those fish were released and not counted. I can't blame the kid, he was workin' his butt off and was trying to make his "fares" happy - kudos to him! He had no idea it would come down to a couple fish between the first 4 places!

We all had a blast, there were many tog wrassled and landed - the only brute was the one Dubs has layin' on the surface until the mate attempted a tail netting job and it escaped. Personally, I think I had a 6 or 7 in the 5# class and a few over 6# that I gave to the helpful mate - he never gets to take fish home but loves to eat them - always glad to helpsmile.gif

Kudo to Al G for setting up the trip - it was nice to fish some new tog infested waters with an experienced captain who did an excellent job at keeping us over fish all day long icon14.gif I'd go out with them again in a heart beat!

Now we rest up - as Dubs put it, next weekend is an off week, we can do whatever we want smile.gif Then 12/8 we tog again - this time with 30 SOL folks - and we'll do a standard big fish type pool - maybe a 1st and 2nd place even smile.gif

TimS

Now if we were only counting non-mugged fish.....biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

anti-mug-ite wink.gif

Things I learned:

If you pile all the extra rods on either side of you, it will keep the loonys away

Toggers can't count.

Never leave the hermits unguarded around Kooky Al.

Fish the opposite side of the boat from TimS, He'll never notice that your stealing his fish.

If you take BrianZ fishing, stuff about 25lbs of wieght in his pocket, or you'll lose him for sure.

Turkey sandwich with a little green crab juice is pretty damn good.

Thanks AlG for setting this up, I had a blast.

Oh yea, Team Goats got their collective @ss kicked.....

[This message has been edited by crash (edited 11-26-2001).]

togtogtogtogtogtogtogtogtogtogtogtog

I didnt enter the "most fish" pool and i wound up with 11 over 16" that I (me not the mate!!) measured and let one go that i didnt measure but was every bit of 17". I had a blast watching the "heavy hitters" duke it out, I would go out on that boat any time the Capt. was fantastic and teh mates were hard workers and eager to please...every toggin on a boat is a learning experience, it's jsut a matter of who u are gonna learn from wink.gif

Oh yea, another thing I learned;

NEVER sit or stand around the cleaning table when the billy club comes out. That wasn't rain splattering on us. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Who was it that was hit by a flying eye?

Dubs had the biggest fish - by a couple pounds - up to the side of the boat when the mate flipped it into the air with the net trying to net it from behind - looked by others to be about 9#. Landed, Alberto had the biggest at 7# 3oz, I had #2, then Crash, then BrianZ, then probably another of Alberto's - Kooky Al speaks to the fish and will be fishing with his lips duck taped next time ...TimS

TimS,

All right...I give up! The secret is revealed... ARG! Play nice and I will do less tog talking - Just keep them duck tape away from my mouth! cwm31.gif

Guys,

I just wanted to let you know I had a blast!!! It was good fun all around but for the next time let's save the headaches and just do the side bets. wink.gif OK, all kidding aside... this was a good attempt but next time we need to be less technical! Depending on the crowd... we should have the two biggest fish pools.... That's all. All other bets should be on the side!

As for the Capt. Richie and the mates.... They are absolutely first class! Lot's of quality fish caught and some big fish were lost (Dub's fish, my two brewster that pulled my tight drag and bent my 4/0 Gami hook!).

I was dully impressed with Dubs and Crash! I noticed they were developing their killer-tog-instincts right before my eyes! I would have second thoughts on side betting them next time!

As for Gottog... Mike, you are a good egg! Let's do some serious togging together soon. Somebody must have put the curse on ya.... we need to brush that off soon! I know you are a helluvah tog killer (your concentration says it all)!

Tim, what am I going to do with ya buddy? Your timing was impeccable... I have to blame ya for losing my mother whitechin ya know! I knew that was a big fish... but what on earth were you doing behind me? cwm31.gif For the record: You did not help me hook that fish one bit pal... You made me set the hook (prematurely) and that's how I lot that fish! That fish pulled my tight drag (does not happen often) and I have a pretty good idea how big that fish was. cwm14.gif

Yo ZZBottom-Billy40 - You are too cool dude. Let's fish Brooklyn (Dec.) soon! BTW: Did ya call my Montauk contact yet?

Hey BrianZ. Thanks for the company... I saw your fillet bag but I had NO idea that you nailed that many tog. Remind me not to fez up too many tog tips... because I am beginning to wonder about ya. Togtogtogtogmug.

Mr. Al G. All I can say is.... GOOD JOB! Capt. Rich and the mates were incredible! Special thanks goes to the young mate Kevin. He was there every time and everywhere.... If I did not know better... I would think there were too of him around! smile.gif BTW: Congratulations on the high hook winnings! But I must admit... You certainly kept it hush-hush pal. cwm13.gif How could you not tell me when there was a good bite? My rollerblades were fined tuned just for that occasion... So you know, I have no morals and I would have mugged ya too -and- I could have a clean sweep. wink.gif

As for the rest of the crew.... Rusty and his two young sharpies, Bob and his teammate were fun to fish with! It was really nice to see ya'll again!

Let's do it again... and again, next time let's keep it simple and keep the rest for side bets.

Anyway.... It's time for me to seek out my stripas friends and rest up my tog (raw) fingers.

"Crazy" Alberto

[This message has been edited by Crazy Alberto (edited 11-26-2001).]

I had a GREAT time with you guys. Ok, Team Goats really sucked on this trip.

CA, I just couldn't get into my groove until way late in the day.

The captain and mates were top notch!!!

Was a pleasure meeting some more SOLers as well.

Thanks again Al G!!! Mighty Mouse was a pleasure to use...was sad that I didn't get to test it out with a big old whitechin, but was still a lil distraught that I had to give it back at the end of the daywink.gif

The only "bad" moment of the trip was the loss of my dad's lighterfrown.gif It was one of very few items I had to remember him by. Maybe it was a sign for me to quit smoking.

We definetely have to do that again!!! I think I'll be quiet about Dec 8th though...I haven't been able to back up all my talkcwm24.gif

------------------

...tis the season when its good to have crabs...

got tog?

It was great having all you guys out this Saturday. My fingers look like swiss cheese and I will not be wrapping rods for a few days.

Let's plan on a trip next year around the same time. It will probably be either a week earlier or later to compensate for the moon tide. My recommendation is that we make it on a Friday so we can hit one of Capt Richie's secret wrecks. We did not have the best weather conditions on Saturday, so fishing the reef was the place to be.

As soon as I lock in a date for next year I will post it up.

BTW: who's going on the Dec. 8th tog event?

"Crazy" Alberto

I'll be there Al, right next to ya, like yer shadow. I need to learn the language, they say you talks to them there critterswink.gif