Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FrankS

Spooling new reel

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Just bought a new ABu Garcia 7000C3 conventionial reel with levelwind . I want to make the right choise of line to use. First time with a conventionial set up . Looking to use monofilament instead of braid .Which brand and pound test ? The reel is going to be on a 10' breadway one piece rod and going to use this outfit to fish clams from the beach and the weight of lead will vary from 4 to 6 oz and some time 8 oz Do appreciate all opinions. Note. should backing need be?

I have the same reel on a 10 ft ron arra

for throwing clams with 4-6 ounces, 30 lb test is fine... Im using 40, cause Im throwing heavier weights and baits...

try 30 first, then make up your mind...Trilene big game is my line of choice for mono!!

BC

You might consider something cheap to practice with and get all nested up. Chances are, if this is your fisrt attempt, you'll hack the line off more than once in the next month or two. Scott

The line guide on that reel as w/ the Ambassadeur 6500 and 7500 level winds is a little too narrow IMO...if you are using 20# mono running line and a 50# mono shock leader (recommended when throwing a 6 oz or 8 oz sinker plus bait), then use the smallest profile knot you know how to tie to connect the 2 lines. A larger profile knot like the Surgeon's or even the back-to-back Uni will hang up just for a nano second on the line guide during a cast and that's all it takes for a backlash...

Generally speaking, 20# running line to toss clams and target Stripers (?) is a good choice from the beach, where there is little or no serious structure like rocks, shellfish beds, or reefs.

As to what line manufacturer to use...well that is more a personal choice then anything else...Big Game by Berkley seems to get the nod up and down the east coast more than any other line. I too like this line, but I also use Suffix and Stren. I did use Ande for many years, but the line simply is too wiry and stiff compared to other makes available today IMO.

Keep in mind that most non-IGFA rated lines nowadays break way over their label rating. Twenty # non-IGFA lines by most manufacturers will break in the 25# to 29# range according to lab reports. So, to try and reap the benefits of a smaller diameter line (read longer cast and more capacity) try moving down to 15# mono line like Suffix Tritanium Plus. This 15# line breaks, if memory serves me correctly, in the 22# to 24# range, which should be enough for your application...

img00011.gifimg00013.gifimg00012.gif

I would use ande line in the 20 # variety . Why Ande ? It has the best memory of any line out there and that makes picking out a birdsnest easier . Once you get used to a conventional go to Big Game of what ever #age you favor . Then I would go to braid when I was very comfortable with the conventional . I use 20# ande on my 7000c3 and braid on my 7000cl But I use Ande on all my mono setups 6# to 30# .

Could someone please tell me how to center the spool properly i know there was a post on it but i can't seem to track it down

my main question is how do i tell if its centered just bye eyeballing it?

Thanks

D