Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

When's the best shot at a 30# striper in yer area?

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

I'm not talking or even suggestion or even wanna hear specifically where you think is the best spot - so please, keep it to yerselfsmile.gif

But what 2 week period do you presents the best opportunity for the landing of 30# stripers the areas you fish? Be VERY general please in naming those areas - like Raritan Bay, Jersey shore, Delaware Bay, RI, Cape, etc....that's as specific as we need for this excersizesmile.gif

I'll go firstwink.gif

Raritan Bay/inside Sandy Hook - last week of April/first week of May.

Joisey shore - last week June/first week July.

TimS

Well based on my limited experience...

Western South Shore LI - a) first week in May until the second week in June b) third week after the start of the Fall Run (usually second week in Oct until the end of Nov)

Western LI Sound - right now until third week in May

North Fork LI - third week in May until they leave in the Fall

South Fork LI - same as the North Fork

Unfortunately, the BEST CHANCE, I'd have to say off of my buddy's boat at a certain one or two spots in Boston Harbor either in early June or mid September chunking pogies or drifting eels.

From shore.....a certain spot or two I know in Rhody, same time frame.....at about 4:30 in the morning.....

Historically the best time for a big fish in Monmouth county is the 1st week in July.

Yes we have seen big fish blitzes over the years in the fall (Thanksgiving week comes to mind) but you could not count on them. The fall blitz was hit or miss and it would only last a few days.

When the big fish were around there was always several 30# plus fish taken that first week of July.