Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
THEKID

Those surfcasters who do not use reel seats, but tape on....

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I know that there are many of us who don't use reel seats (either built-in or taped on) b/c we find them uncomfortable.

How do you place your reel on your surf stick then? I've always used black electrical tape, but yesterday while fighting an 11 lb Blue I noticed that the reel shifted on the rod. What I thought was tight/set in place proved me wrong. And I really gave it a good tape job!

How do you guys prevent the slippage?

Thanks,

------------------

THE KID [a.k.a. "BLACKBALL"]

All tape ons are going to move a bit, but the one thing I do is tape under the reel seat, and leave that one for the season, then place the reel on top and start a new wrap. This never shifted on me, but after a month or so I alwways notice that it cocks to one side a bit, from the way I cst and hold it I guess.

Mike L

THEKID - Ive been using the Fuji skeleton wrap-on reel seat for a numbers of years now. I prefer this as I like to still be able to remove the reel for cleaning. When I wrap on the seat I use a premium electrical tape Scotch 33 Plus or 35. When I clip on the reel I also put a wrap of tape over the release clip for insurance. wink.gif

Hi Kid!

To prevent the reel from slipping first wrap the rod with friction tape only at the point where you want to place the reel. Then place you reel seat on the friction tape and wrap with 3M electrical tape. It is more expensive than the other junk, but it holds better. All hardware stores carry friction tape, ask and you shall receive!!!

Once again you have tapped my brain.

Ditto on the friction tape boys. I dunno if I am using the same friction tape as you all are, but I use the stuff that they call friction tape at Cosby's. The Hockey Tape, black and sticky right?

Be sure to wrap over this stuff completely after putting your reel on it, it attracts dirt.

JC

I use coasters on a few of my rods that do not have reel seats. They are two circular clamps that are small and light, once clamped down are virtualy un-movable, the twist grips come in many different colours.

These are used alot on rods that you cast with the reel low down near the butt, though they have the advantage of being movable to suit casting styles and fishing situations.

Check out some of the UK based sites, if you are interested, anyone know if breakaway has them?

tight lines

TimGil

I think I know what your asking.

For me, the perminant real seat is a little bit bulky and a long day of fishing with cramps in your hand is no fun. The tape on real seat is a little thinner and delays hand cramps.

Also, in the colder months if you choose to wear bulky gloves, the tape on real seat will give you that little bit of extra room, to avoid hitting the bail wire and the reels rotor.

Im sure their are other reasons, but these are just mine.

------------------

<{{{SRFtactics><

i concur with Wavebeater , use electrical friction tape , then regular electrical tape to hold the reel in place, then i put a final piece of heat shrink over each side of the reel feet, this dresses it up a bit and the tape lasts alot longer

TimGil, Ant:

I speak for myself, But I think my reasons will be similar to most.

First off we are talking about a custom rod, where I don't want a reel seat attached for a number of reasons, first off is the weight, it is undesired by myself and I also find most seats too thick, which makes my hand cramp when fishing for hours, or in the cold(for hours). Next reason is I never found an off of the shelf rod (even high end i.e. St. Croix, G Loomis, Lami-factory rods) that leave enough room below the reel seat to fit my casting style, and retreive style. I recently fell in love with a Ron Arra Lami, I should say fell in like with it because I knew what I could do with it to make it perfect for ME. I did not even leave the shop (my freinds) and I ripped off the cork, dremmeled off the reel seat, added a 10 inch plug via 2 ton epoxy, rewrapped a thicker cork and tapped on my VS 150, I LOVE IT NOW, and it fits me and my needs. Some people are lucky and like or feel ok with the length of off the rack rods, and thats fine and there is nothing wrong with that whatsoever, this is my thing.

Hope this helps,

Mike L