Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zim

New Calcutta Bait

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Anyone see the Flash Foil swim Shad. Whoa, these things are gonna catch a lot of Bass this year. So far for soft plastics, I've liked the Storm shads, but these things are incredible. Fatter, real gills, same VMC hooks. Brighter eyes. Here's a 6" Pearl/Black back next to a Bunker 6" Storm. We'll have to wait and see, but I got a feeling about these.

Which one would you eat first?

Cal1.jpg

cal2.jpg

I would take the storm over it for jigging. Something tells me the gill vents are gonna slow down getting it to the bottom.

The tail is a little different too. I've fished them and they look good. No takers yet, but that's my fault, not the bait.

Pink over pearl should be deadly. icon14.gif

One of the things that makes the 6" Storm such an awesome bait is, and probably by accident, the proper balance of big floppy tail and weight.

The big floppy tail should flop around and throw the bait off balance, like a hurt critter. The smaller or less floppy the tail, the less likely that it's gonna struggle through the water the same way.

Not saying the Calcutta isn't an even better bait, just saying that none of the other ones, outta the dozens of late comers, has really captured the same action as the big floppy tailed 6" Wildeye - at least not yet wink.gif

I like the wider profile from beneath...the gills they can keep as them gills will catch plenty more fisherman than fish smile.gif I mean, if they were after realism, what baitfish has three separate sets of gills? smile.gif

The first company that adds bluefish repellent to the plastic will get 100% of my business HappyWave.gif

TimS

I have to say... I never saw them up here before this year. Last year I bought a handful of packages down in OC MD. because they looked so good. They do swim real good but man o man they stink like gasoline!!! I mean they got this greasy film on em and it aint like it's a fish attractant because it really has a gas or motor oil type of sickening scent. Still and all I'm gonna douse the packages with a little shedder crab oil and see if that helps....

I haven't caught a striper on them, yet, but everything else that swims seems to like them. Last fall at the OBX I caught a number of puppy drum and some speckled seatrout on them.

Earlier this month, I caught some jacks on them in the Bahamas. In fact, they were fighting over the lures. I was showing a buddy all of the fish stacked up near this bridge (over a creek) on the incoming tide. He was having trouble seeing them all so (despite it being labelled as a 'No Fishing Area') I dropped the Calcutta bait in to get the fish to move. Literally, about 50-60 Jacks came rocketing out of cover after it. One short grabbed it and bit off the tail (luckily because it weighed about 20 lbs and would have wrapped me around the bridge abutments). I'm sold on them.

I bought a package of them the other day from the store. It was a pinkish purple color. The weather wasn't that great for the surf, so I went to the back bay with these, and the bass went crazy for them. Nothing big, but man did the rats jump on them.

I bought a package of them the other day from the store. It was a pinkish purple color. The weather wasn't that great for the surf, so I went to the back bay with these, and the bass went crazy for them. Nothing big, but man did the rats jump on them.

Plastic shads are all about the tail and being soft...I have yet to find one that can beat a Fish Trap...the bigger that tail the better.

Anyone see the Flash Foil swim Shad. Whoa, these things are gonna catch a lot of Bass this year. So far for soft plastics, I've liked the Storm shads, but these things are incredible. Fatter, real gills, same VMC hooks. Brighter eyes. Here's a 6" Pearl/Black back next to a Bunker 6" Storm. We'll have to wait and see, but I got a feeling about these.

Which one would you eat first?

Cal1.jpg

cal2.jpg

Howdy W.B.G.,

they were out last season up here in Ct.

I caught a ton of fish on `em too.

I posted a tip about those things,the tails don`t wiggle a lot so if you bite off the little tit on the tail you will see it really wiggle. tongue.gif