Nebe

rhode island random pics thread.....

Rate this topic

8,631 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Gecko_13 said:

I found this on a South County beach this week. Can anyone i.d. it? Thanks.

20200318_172103.jpg

Its a coral fragment. What kind coral I don't know.

On 3/20/2020 at 5:41 PM, HugeDinghy said:

I’m old enough to remember when ll bean meant quality. 

3EABFB9E-2649-4097-897C-2497ECA458F9.jpeg

I traded in a good pair of leather wading boots (with failed hasps) a few years ago, and they gave me these.  The pot-metal hasps lasted almost a year.  Now I'm on the 3rd version of these, two years now and no issues yet.  Admittedly, I've fished less in the last two years than I was fishing prior to that, but still....

Maybe $20 per boot...

noname (4)

noname (3)

12 mins ago, rolm said:

I traded in a good pair of leather wading boots (with failed hasps) a few years ago, and they gave me these.  The pot-metal hasps lasted almost a year.  Now I'm on the 3rd version of these, two years now and no issues yet.  Admittedly, I've fished less in the last two years than I was fishing prior to that, but still....

Maybe $20 per boot...

noname (4)

noname (3)

dammit

20200323_141723.jpg

20200323_141759.jpg

On 3/23/2020 at 2:26 PM, rolm said:

Maybe $20 per boot...

noname (4)

noname (3)

WTF....those things aren't even broken in yet...

LL Bean has unfortunately gone down a lot in quality over the year.

1 hour ago, jim sylvester said:

WTF....those things aren't even broken in yet...

LL Bean has unfortunately gone down a lot in quality over the year.

They're entirely made of plastics, all except the pot-metal hasps.  I find them to be good boots, all except the hasps (hasps broke first year, laces lasted until 2 years ago).  These have IIRC about 5 years in the salt.  They would have been good freshwater wading boots, but the LLB pair I had before these (with leather uppers and brass-ish hasps) felt like way better boots but the stitching went first, then the leather started tearing and the hasps started separating.  These are good because there's nothing to rot on them... other than the crappy hasps.  

32 mins ago, rolm said:

They're entirely made of plastics, all except the pot-metal hasps.  I find them to be good boots, all except the hasps (hasps broke first year, laces lasted until 2 years ago).  These have IIRC about 5 years in the salt.  They would have been good freshwater wading boots, but the LLB pair I had before these (with leather uppers and brass-ish hasps) felt like way better boots but the stitching went first, then the leather started tearing and the hasps started separating.  These are good because there's nothing to rot on them... other than the crappy hasps.  

maybe modifying them with small stainless steel d rings and grommets?

25 mins ago, jim sylvester said:

maybe modifying them with small stainless steel d rings and grommets?

That's what's on them now.  First couple times I replaced the hasps with brass(ish) picture hangers.  Hey, it was all I could find at the time and I wanted to go fishing.  They worked ok, but they corroded the SS nuts and bolts and I still had to replace about half of them every 5-6 weeks.  I still have a box with maybe a hundred, out of 250 originally.

Now they're replaced with 3/4" SS d-ring hasps (smallest I could find with the single-hole brace) and SS nuts and bolts. Looks stupid as hell, but it works and there is no sign of failure (except for the re-use of some of the previously corroded nuts because I'm cheap).  

The d-rings are about twice as big as they need to be, but I like them because I can really snug the boots down, which I wasn't able to do with the brass hangers because after a couple weeks or so of use they would be weak. 

These, coupled with my sandal cleats (with the carbide studs replaced with SS bolts), and I'm stylin on the rocks.  And my Simms with about a dozen patches.  And my yard-sale rod.  And my frankenstein 704.  

User rolm will now be known as "The Fishing Hobo"

just noticed the picture

It seems that the stuff we work on after market,  we appreciate more with the time and thought put into it.

My boys play hockey, as I did though college and modifying equipment is the norm in that sport....almost as much as we modify out boots and korkers.....lol

Edited by jim sylvester

On 3/2/2010 at 0:41 AM, Nebe said:

how about it...just Rhode Island shots. Can be fishing, or just cool shots you have taken.

heres some from my iphone.

Your first pic looks like Charlestown walking into the pond.