Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

23 Pound, 36 inch on a bluback

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd let you know how my trip to Atlanta went. A friend hired a guide and needed some ballast so he invited me along to lake Lanier, northeast Georgia. A cold front had moved in and the temperature never climbed above 35. With the 10-20 knot breeze and an occaisional gust to 25 it was cold, wind chills had to be in the low teens. How cold? Never had to scrape ice off the sole of the boat to walk around before.

Went out on a 23 foot ?SeaPro. 2300CC, center console. Sweet boat! Anyway. Had three dozen 5 inch bluebacks and we went through them all. Got into a small back bay about 100 yards long and fifty yards wide. Could see the fish boling along the banks. Boated 9 fish in 5 hours and the largest was my 23 pound, 36 inch striper. None was less than 8 pounds and the avg was about 14.

It was my first experience with landlocked sideliners and I must say it was very interesting. We downlined for the majority of the fish, but got a few on flat line as well. That would be by bobber to us norhterners. Would be spectacular for a yak, but the distances to cover are huge. Hmmm, maybe the perfect application for the party barge mother ship routine.

Anyway, very enjoyable and hopefully a couple of new subscribers to the board as I really talked everyone here up. Happy New Year! ScottO

Congrats on the landlocked Stripers. Now you see we some of us don't mind being far from the ocean biggrin.gif Thats about the going weight for a 36 inch Striper out of a lake. When they are boiling near the shore like that, you need to try throwing some of those plugs you have been making biggrin.gif

Jigman

I'm stuck here in Knoxville until I graduate. Until then I found the honey hole that held the former TN state record (60#) It is THE "Bull Run" Steam plant outflow. I think I have to wait a couple of more weeks for the water to get colder, then the bait fish will find the warmer water. I have never caught a landlocked striper (rockfish here in TN), But hopefully it will tide me over for the next 16 months and 10 days.

You're not kidding Jig, I didn't take any stuff with me. After all it's the middle of winter! The guide tried thrwoing this sluggo type lead head with very limited results...ie, none. Next year, that's for sure! Scott

My first experience with Stripers were of the landlocked variety. It was on Lake Powell while participating in a week long houseboat, water skiing trip. I brought a few rods along just in case. Acres of bass would be feeding on top on shad. All you had to do was get a lure into them. Lots of fun.

The great thing about landlocks is that you don't have the commercials wiping them out and for many guys they're treated like sport fish and most are returned to the water.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 12-31-2001).]

googinator,

Dude! You have all kinds of excellent striper fishing right around you. Several lakes and rivers in east TN that have them. If you haven't done so already, do a search for the Tennessee Striped Bass Association (TSBA). Some great folks that can help put you on some landlocked Stripers. I lived in Knoxpatch for several years and still have family down that way, so I take my boat with me whenever I get the chance. Definitely some good Striper fishing around you.

ScottO, yeah it seems weird until you get used to it. December is usually a good month for landlocked Stripers. Watch the gulls, if you have them on the lake, to let you know where the Stripers are busting the surface. Night time they catch them on crankbaits real shallow or on surface. They come up close to the bank to feed at night. Day time, a bucktail is usually better, though Little Macs still produce.

JonS, yeah, a lot of the Striper anglers are good about catch and release when it is appropriate (summer time they die after release). Still have problems with over fishing on some lakes. Bigger problem is the misunderstanding that some people have thinking that the Stripers are eating all the other gamefish (plenty of studies show they do not). Some bass (those little green fish wink.gif ) clubs went so far as to sue the fisheries department to stop them from stocking Stripers. Stopped stocking one lake for several years while they ran a study on it. Now stocking again as they found no evidence that Stripers were eating gamefish. Some bass anglers still do not buy it rolleyes.gif and go out of their way to kill stripers whenever they have a chance.

Jigman

PS. They are already catching them around the steam plants.