Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
festus

Question--Best Muskie Tackle Box?

11 posts in this topic

I have hooked a couple of muskies while fishing for other species lately. Both got off at the bank, one came unhooked and another broke my light line while sauger fishing. This is enough to give me muskie fever, I suppose, because I have sunk some bucks into some muskie lures, Storm Kickin' Minnow, Swim Shads, Kickin' Sticks, Thundercore Dawgs, Savage Alien Eels, Mepps Muskie Killers, some Joe Bucher plugs and Fluttertail swimbaits, some giant Rat-L-Traps, Believers, Pikies, a giant Jitterbug and even carved a few oversize lures from cedar myself.

But I have a problem. I thought I could get these huge lures in my striper box but I have run out room big time. What is the best muskie tackle box? I have my striper lures in an old two sided Plano Magnum box. I'm thinking about buying a new tackle box for my striper lures and storing my muskie lures in the Plano Magnum. Any suggestions?

I use a Plano 7915 box. It's the big one with a blue cover and it can hold a lot of lures. The thing feels like it must weigh 30-40 lbs loaded. I also have a soft sided bag I use with the large plano boxes. That can hold about 3 large boxes and then 2 thin ones with one more stacked flat on top. Sad to say I carry way too much.

Thanks for the reply. If I can find something similar to my old Plano Magnum box, I'll get it. If not, I'll get my striper lures out of the Magnum and find another box to replace it with and put my muskie lures in it.

Wonder why anything to do with muskie fishing is so much more expensive than other species? Lures, rods, and tackle boxes prices are outrageous in proportion to other gear.

Get the medium Lakewood box and put no more than 25 lures in it. If you need more then you are just confusing yourself and aren't going to catch a musky anyway.

.....how'd I do, Hooks?

I guess great minds think alike! I made the same type of box (patterned after the Dunwright). I still like the Lakewood medium best. It keeps the lures out of the sun and they don't fly around in the car when you hit a bump since you can close the lid. Also, no one at the ramp can look through your box....that's a big one for me!biggrin.gif

Vertical storage is the way to go. I have a soft sided Flambeau that holds up to 64 lures, at the moment I pack about 20-25 lures into it. Just grab and go, it holds everything.

2061_hangbaitbag.jpg

Next on the wish list is another vertical hanging lure box from Jackson Lures.....very nice...$45.

1345New.jpg

View Post Also, no one at the ramp can look through your box....that's a big one for me!biggrin.gif

Dave, Nice box.....that is so funny you say that, a couple of ppl I fish with say the same thing but I look at it this way......They can buy all the lures I have (and I have a lot) but if they don't know how to use them it is just wasted money for them.

Jeff