Ford f-150 question

Rate this topic

Tumbleweed

I was driving home today and hit a small bump in the road but it made the back right side of the truck sound like it fell off. It made a loud noise like someone hit the bottom of the bed with a hammer. I stopped, got out to look and didn't see anything obviously broken so I slowly drove the rest of the way home. It did make a similar sound when I made a hard right turn onto my street (two loud cracks) then again when I pulled into my driveway (again two loud cracks). I can't see anything that looks loose or cracked underneath. Any ideas? Thanks.

Bed bolts?

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I'm not a auto mechanic but it sounds like U-Joints. I have an 03 Ford F-150 and replaced mine at the 90k or so mark. 80-100k seems to be the norm to replace U-joints on F150's. That clank is scary.....I pulled over and did the same thing as you...what the heck was that? lol

View Post

On mine a spring shackle gave way. One end of the leaf spring touching the bed. Truck had a noticeable lean when parked.

Bingo. Upon further inspection (in the daylight) that's what happened. Busted a shackle bolt and the end of the leaf spring and it was knocking against the bottom of the bed. Thanks.

View PostBingo. Upon further inspection (in the daylight) that's what happened. Busted a shackle bolt and the end of the leaf spring and it was knocking against the bottom of the bed. Thanks.

Good find. I'll have to watch for that on mine. What year is yours?

View PostSome of the older models had leaf spring mounts that would get dirt in them then not drain and rot out.

Forgot about that one. Good point.

View PostBusted a shackle bolt and the end of the leaf spring and it was knocking against the bottom of the bed. Thanks

You're welcome. Just be happy you found it before it shot through the bed (not I, but have seen). Friendly suggestion, fix the other side as well.

still counting...

FWIW, One of the rear spring shackles on my 2001 Dakota (bought new) rusted out in similar fashion, the spring tried to go thru the bed floor before I could get it fixed. My repair shop said it was common on Dakotas, but not as bad as on Ford F-150's.

" I did my worst, but I did it well "