Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tailfeathers

Surf Bag Tubes?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I have a cordura flat bag I plan to use for my surf lures etc. I was thinking of making tubes for the lures from golf club tubes that you use in a golf club bag. Maybe square tubes would be better as they could be hot glued together into a group that fit the bag. Any ideas?

I'd love to just go get a proper surf bag, but money'$ tight.

Thanks

Tailfeathers

My first "surf bag" was made from a $6 nylon purse type bag from walmart and 6 suave shampoo bottle (with the tops cut off). The shampoo bottles are about 2 1/4" ID x 6 1/2" tall. Drill some hole in the botttom for drainage. With the smooth bottoms in the bottle, you won't get any hooks snagged in there.

I still use the bag, but now for fly fishing. It holds 5 plano 3400 or 4 - 3500 boxes with no problems and has nice pockets for leaders and what not.

I ran across these and may buy a carton this winter and make up a couple of bags. Thought of cutting them to size with a chopsaw, even tapering the tops so the bag closes properly. Military shoulder bags from a surplus store work well.

added later.......dawned on me that Tim may actually sell replacement tubes so I deleted the url I first posted.

Ya I have a problem paying big bucks for a plug bag.

Army/Navy stores have all kinds of bags with little pockets.

As for tubes, I'm using clear plastic flourscent light tubes I got at H.D. I think they were 5$ for an 8 foot tube. I ran some masking tape around where I wanted em cut and ran em thru the band saw right. I made them long so the hooks hang from the tube rather than sit down in the tube as they don't have bottom and my bag is tall...

I've also taken the plano boxes, ran duct tape around em to keep them closed and just sliced the top off on the bandsaw. That leaves you basically an opened ended box w/ square tubes. Fits in my army navy bag nice.

When I made my plug bag I used a soft sided 6 pack cooler. The cooler is a heavy fabric with three pockets on the outside which I use for leaders, jig heads, flash light, keys, ect.

I ordered 2" square tubing from McMaster Carr and cut them to size (two rows of four). The bag has more than enough room for the plugs, metals and rubbers I carry.

D

As for tubes, I'm using clear plastic flourscent light tubes I got at H.D. I think they were 5$ for an 8 foot tube. I ran some masking tape around where I wanted em cut and ran em thru the band saw right. I made them long so the hooks hang from the tube rather than sit down in the tube as they don't have bottom and my bag is tall...

You can buy end caps for the light tubes, just search for them online.

But I second the shampoo bottles. They hold bigger plugs and you can double or triple up the thinner plugs like needles or bombers.

Use the light tubes and club tubes for the smaller stuff like jigs, poppers, hopkins...

Man that's a lot of shampoo you gotta use just to make a plug bag redface.gif Hope you have hair! wink.gif

With a family of 5, 3 of which are female and two of those teenage daughters, believe me, empty shampoo/conditioner bottles are NOT a problem! biggrin.gif

My first "surf bag" was made from a $6 nylon purse type bag from walmart and 6 suave shampoo bottle (with the tops cut off). The shampoo bottles are about 2 1/4" ID x 6 1/2" tall. Drill some hole in the botttom for drainage. With the smooth bottoms in the bottle, you won't get any hooks snagged in there.

I still use the bag, but now for fly fishing. It holds 5 plano 3400 or 4 - 3500 boxes with no problems and has nice pockets for leaders and what not.

So u fish with a purse with shampoo bottles in it.