Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken D

De-coding Some Abu Reels....

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I contacted the fine folks at Abu, and Nissa was kind enough to send me a pdf cipher. It explains the numbering system on the reel's foot.

I ran the explantion on some of my reels, and it's enlightening to verify what I knew, and going to be a real help for those reels I don't know on.

Thank you Abu, Thank you Nissa. KD.

By way of example, the document was created in year 2007, as seen top right. 2007.09.07 Sept. the 7th, of 07.

The "17" on the foot is the year plus ten. Bada boom.

Thanks, Ken. That is very helpful, as the question does come up from time to time.

Yes, they use the same calendar, but also number the weeks for quick general orientation. ie, try to have that project finished by Week 24 please... (um, early june then).

PS: Nisse, with an e. Familiar form of Nils.

Acknowledged, Dr. Rob... Given Nissa's Surname of Lundquist, it all seems to fit. She's kinda taken over from retiree Julie Heetland, in the Abu reel sector at Purefishing.

Ken any idea why a reel foot would not have a number and simply say "SAMPLE"? I have a 7000C3 with blue side-plates and was assuming that it was a not a normally released reel, possibly just made using the leftover blue sideplates from the 7500C3CT. Any help would be appreciated.

John

Hi, John, I can only 'take a stab' at your question. I stand to be corrected if I got it wrong.

Abu still is a global operation, with different reels for different countries. The blue sided model was sold in Australia as a 7000C3, early 90's. So your reel may be a sample to show folks where it is you live, that such a reel can be done.

Abu may still make custom runs of reels, based on a minimum run of 500,

so yours could be one that prospective buyers could look at.

The blue-sided reel is very popular here, if they can be found. Now that the new 'i' reels are out there, many of the old school reels are being relegated to the display case instead of the swim.

Thanks Ken I appreciate it. I tried looking a little and did not find any info. I figured if anyone would know what it meant it would be you. Thanks again.

John