Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobby

Penn 149 vs. Penn Senator( 14/0)?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

This time of year the charter boat I fish starts his trolling with wire attack on the Stripers because they are deep to escape the hot sun. The Capt. of this boat has 2 rods rigged with wire. What we do is take turns in reeling in the fish. I have a Penn 149 and am thinking of hooking it up with wire so I can fish anytime on board the charter. The Capt. uses Penn Senators 14/0. I have a Penn 149 and am thinking of rigging with wire as I've said. The only thing is Capt. says they don't hold up like the Senators do. The thing I want to know is, with frequent uses(2x per week)will the 149 hold it's own? Thanks!

Twice a week is nothin'. The 149 was meant to troll wire.... Maybe a better question for the Capt. would be.... "Why are you using a 14/0 Senator to target stripers?" cwm27.gif

This time of year the charter boat I fish starts his trolling with wire attack on the Stripers because they are deep to escape the hot sun. The Capt. of this boat has 2 rods rigged with wire. What we do is take turns in reeling in the fish. I have a Penn 149 and am thinking of hooking it up with wire so I can fish anytime on board the charter. The Capt. uses Penn Senators 14/0. I have a Penn 149 and am thinking of rigging with wire as I've said. The only thing is Capt. says they don't hold up like the Senators do. The thing I want to know is, with frequent uses(2x per week)will the 149 hold it's own? Thanks!

Bobby are you sure the reels were 14/0?Normal outfit would be 4/0 113H Senators.Just asking?? rolleyes.gifwink.gif

Bobby are you sure the reels were 14/0?Normal outfit would be 4/0 113H Senators.Just asking?? rolleyes.gifwink.gif

My bad! They are the 4/0's. I figure if I'm using it 2x per week should be alright. I beleive the Capt. is coming from a 2x a day 7x a week type trolling! This guy is really good at what he does so everything he says, I take seriously!

Do you mean the Penn 49L? Thats what we've used for years. I still have two on my boat. We also have some newer wire rigs with the 113H, but I prefer the narrower spool with the wire.

Chris

Do you mean the Penn 49L? Thats what we've used for years. I still have two on my boat. We also have some newer wire rigs with the 113H, but I prefer the narrower spool with the wire.

Chris

No, Chris. It's the Penn 149. Says it right on the sideplates. It is a narrow spooled, version of I beleive the Mariner which has 2 levers on it on one side.