Toyota Tacoma question.

fishfood

I have a 2000 Tacoma and yesterday it started squealing and smoking and smelling like burnt rubber. It looks like the bearing/pulley for the belt running the A/C compressor locked up, and the belt was just burning up on it.

I don't feel like dropping a few hundred bucks right now, or taking the time to try to fix it myself. If I just remove the belt and clean up all the shredded rubber, will it be A-Okay to drive around for awhile? I'm assuming I'll just have no A/C, which I'm fine with. Or is that compressor used for something else, like part of the cooling system?

Thanks....

Nope... the Tacomas have individual belts for the alternator, power steering, and A/C.

Good point on the dehumidifier, but I live a mile from work and generally don't drive too much, so I'll be able to make due for a few months w/o it.

I took the belt off and ran it for 10 minutes and the temp was right where it should be. I'm 99% sure I'll be fine until I have the time to tackle it.

i wouldnt reccomened running the truck with out the belt..no PS, no water pump...just becuase it didnt over heat in a few minutes doesnt mean anything..

If your pulley is seized and your are 100% sure its the a/c compressor then you will have to remove it..which means letting the refrigerant out. then your gonna need special tools to remove the pulley from the pump.. from there you gotta determine if its the bearings or the clutch acting up..good luck. what motor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyota
View Post

i wouldnt reccomened running the truck with out the belt..no PS, no water pump...just becuase it didnt over heat in a few minutes doesnt mean anything..
If your pulley is seized and your are 100% sure its the a/c compressor then you will have to remove it..which means letting the refrigerant out. then your gonna need special tools to remove the pulley from the pump.. from there you gotta determine if its the bearings or the clutch acting up..good luck. what motor?

It's the 3.4 liter V6. Like I mentioned above, it's not a serpentine belt, so the alternator, fan and P/S are still going. I was kinda worried about the water pump, but I think that runs off the timing belt/chains

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishfood
View Post

It's the 3.4 liter V6. Like I mentioned above, it's not a serpentine belt, so the alternator, fan and P/S are still going. I was kinda worried about the water pump, but I think that runs off the timing belt/chains

sorry i missed that..you are correct about the water pump

Yup, there's a recall on that model toyota for frame corrosion. I took mine to a dealership last summer and they took a look and said it was just normal surface rust (I live a block from saltwater). Frankly, I love my truck and didn't want to part with it, so I was happy and didn't second guess them.

But after crawling around under there today, it's looking like more than surface rust in some places. I might have to get a second opinion from another dealership. I don't want to part with it, but certainly will for 1.5x KBB value.

99' and older - buy back

00' and newer - new frame

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion 

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishfood
View Post

Yup, there's a recall on that model toyota for frame corrosion. I took mine to a dealership last summer and they took a look and said it was just normal surface rust (I live a block from saltwater). Frankly, I love my truck and didn't want to part with it, so I was happy and didn't second guess them.

But after crawling around under there today, it's looking like more than surface rust in some places. I might have to get a second opinion from another dealership. I don't want to part with it, but certainly will for 1.5x KBB value.

Not a bad idea to have it checked once a year. That according to the mechanic when I took mine in (they kept it). The frames rust from the inside out, so hard to determine if the frame is going unless you know what you are looking for. Also bear in mind that not all Tacomas will have the rust problem. Can depend on the area and where it was shipped from.

Jigman