Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R.R. Bridge Fisher

shinner traps

11 posts in this topic

How many guys trap there own shinners? with the prices going up I will start in the spring. I have access to a private pond. it is very shallow spring down one end the feed and waterfall down the other the outlet.the outlet end there's people around the feed end is private. its basically a flooded meadow very clear.

what can you tell me about what spot to set the shinner trap,what is a good trap to buy, bait,depth,tricks,tips and any comments would help out a lot.

thanks for your time

Only problem with traps in MA is you have to break the law to be successful

in getting bigger shiners I believe the law on it is 1x1 inch diameter entry hole does me no good , if it's on private property Great! Don't quote me though cause I don't know if the law has changed .

you can alter a minno or eel trap just be careful and use black rope (parachute chord is best ) and hide it well .wink.gif Trust me .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ditch Devil
View Post

Only problem with traps in MA is you have to break the law to be successful
in getting bigger shiners I believe the law on it is 1x1 inch diameter entry hole does me no good , if it's on private property Great! Don't quote me though cause I don't know if the law has changed .

you can alter a minno or eel trap just be careful and use black rope (parachute chord is best ) and hide it well .wink.gif Trust me .

it is on my clubs property so i dont need a license. I do like to follow the rules/laws.If I trap small ones and put them in my fish tank how fast will they grow?

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.R. Bridge Fisher
View Post

it is on my clubs property so i dont need a license. I do like to follow the rules/laws.If I trap small ones and put them in my fish tank how fast will they grow?

you may as well just go to the store. unless you don't need them til really late in the year, fish don't grow that fast smile.gif

For some reason i always catch more in the galvanized traps than the black coated ones headscratch.gif . Dry cat or dog food works good for bait, throw some in loose and wrap some up in fine mesh too. If you setting the trap in shallow water, or close to shore, consider leaving a bit of the trap above water or you'll end up with a bunch of drowned water snakes frown.gif . Traps set in deeper water usually dont get snakes in them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat the nat
View Post

For some reason i always catch more in the galvanized traps than the black coated ones headscratch.gif . Dry cat or dog food works good for bait, throw some in loose and wrap some up in fine mesh too. If you setting the trap in shallow water, or close to shore, consider leaving a bit of the trap above water or you'll end up with a bunch of drowned water snakes frown.gif . Traps set in deeper water usually dont get snakes in them.

i had the same results when crabbing, id have a dozen fatheads everytime id pull the trap

i use canned cat food tuna one. shake it up and open it up a bit throw it in and go. i have a few spots where i can get them if i want but im to lazy sometimes, but when i do i throw the trap just under the surface so its covered, and i have the galvanized ones sprayed black or a neutral color so people cant spot them quickly without really having to look

Those black traps have a problem with the clip not holding the trap completely shut. That's one reason you have better luck with the galvanized traps. The minnows can escape the black trap. That's what Walmart sells--the black traps. They're pretty useless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat the nat

View Post