Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
High Hooker

Part Boat TUNA - Stern, Bow, Rails????

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Hard to say. Depends on variables such as, are they anchoring or drifting. If the boat anchors, and you have a wind against tide and the current runs toward the bow of the boat, the bow is the obvious place to fish. If the boat is laying on anchor with the current running toward the stern, the stern is the place. If drifting, the side of the boat that the line is drifting away fron, windward side.

You want your line away from the boat in any situation.

Spigola

I have only done this a few times and it was always chunking on anchor so a stern spot is preferred and a stern corner is premium.

Of course if you're going to jig you go up in teh bow, away from everyone else chunking.

If the bite is on, you may not have a choice. A good boat will keep those that are fighting fish away from those who aren't. The Doris Mae for example, will "push" folks who are hooked up to the stern & those who aren't up towards the bow. It gets like a conga line when the bite is good.

I'd start in a stern corner if I could...

Billy, I would go so far as to say that if you do not get a stern spot your time would be better spent jigging from the sides or the bow.

Trying to drift chunks down the side of a boat is a pain in the az, you do not get a decent drift, constant tangles, yada yada yada.

All the reasons that I try to avoid party boat tuna fishing.

If you can get three other guys together you are better off on a private charter IMO. The cost would end up about the same.

If you can get three other guys together you are better off on a private charter IMO. The cost would end up about the same.

I agree with this being a better idea, but no way it's about the same $$$. The most you'll spend for a PB trip is $275 + tip. Charters are minimum $350, more like $400. Tips are almost always larger on a charter. Plus on some charters, you cannot use your own tackle.

I agree with this being a better idea, but no way it's about the same $$$. The most you'll spend for a PB trip is $275 + tip. Charters are minimum $350, more like $400. Tips are almost always larger on a charter. Plus on some charters, you cannot use your own tackle.

over $600 for the Canyon Runner

good gawd. i gotta move back east. eek.gif

our tuna trip came to a total of 1500 bucks... PLUS the tip! eek.gifeek.gif there were 5 of us... max people allowed on the boat was 6.

our tuna trip came to a total of 1500 bucks... PLUS the tip!

$1500 per person, or for the whole trip split 5 or 6 ways? I assume per person, so please stay out there cause that's only $300 each. $400 minimum is pp, and I'm pretty sure that $600 figure was per person as well.

our tuna trip came to a total of 1500 bucks... PLUS the tip!

$1500 per person, or for the whole trip split 5 or 6 ways? I assume per person, so please stay out there cause that's only $300 each. $400 minimum is pp, and I'm pretty sure that $600 figure was per person as well.

Wild Wave, the fastest Northern Cali partyboat, out of fun. fun, fun Santa Cruz, maybe an hour from SF. How can ya beat that?

"All trips depart at 4 a.m. and return approximately 10 p.m. PRICE: $175.00/day/person, includes live bait tackle and rods. 28 bunks available, 24 person maximum. Hot meals available on board, prepared by Salty. ** Soft bags only. No coolers!!**"

A-hem. Viking Star is $300,

As previously stated: "the Western LI boats are priced more reasonably than the Eastern LI/Montauk boats."

Evey boat in Montauk is more expensive than everywhere else. THat's why it was $300. CAptain Lou I think is $225, so is the Jamaica.