Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jchez444

kevin bogans custom poison rods

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

Beautiful work.  I love cork grips.  You also hit the nail on the head about how the materials are joined.  A lot of commercial manufacturers have high quality components and nice wraps (probably done by a computer controlled system) but the joinery is done poorly.  This leaves openings for junk to get into places that are very hard to clean.  I don't mind cleaning my gear at the end of the day but I don't want to have to use dental tools to do it.  

Cork tape or regular cork. Your pick. The cork rings I use are $6 per inch just for material. And its' still not even close to perfect. They will float better than a lower grade cork grip since they won't fill up with water as fast due. SMH

All rods are wrapped by hand, there is no machinery used to instal grips or wrap teh guides and finish them. Cheap labor only. Por joinery applies to most custom rodbuilders as well...it's called fit and finish. Once you know wha tto look for in a high quality well built rod, you notice the lack of attention to detail in both factory and custom rods.

Seeker,Calstar and Shimano great rods for the Party Boats that I fish on down on the Jersey Shore. Yes K. Bogan makes some great rods, no doubt. But there are some great factory rods coming out too. Any rod that he didn't make according to him is CRAP! He hates Lami. and St.Croix. 

Edited by rubberheels

Why would he like them? He's always gonna push his own product he would stupid not too. Now with that being said every rod of his that I've ever felt, felt like crap to me.

On 2/8/2010 at 10:28 AM, Billy 40 said:

I try to avoid this stuff, but I just can't let it go.

When you build ona $20 blank, use Fuji guides @ $8 for a set, teh handle cost @ $15 - you can sell a rod for $175 > $132 in labor

When you use a $120 blank, use $40 Fuji guides, and $15 on the handle, $132 in labor = $307.

If I put a Dec WRap on a $175 base price rod, I would charge $150, putting the cost @ $325.

SO you could spend $325 and have a pretty wrap on a lower quality component rod, or spend $307 on a better quality component rod. I would much rather spend the significant amount of money more on a better blank and better guides which has no artwork.

Amen Billy 40!!!

In my opinion, a piece of equipment I use...the tool of the fishing trade if you will. The rod has to feel great to me, fit me like a glove and perform flawlessly as long as I do my part right. Fancy wraps, eye boggling grips and custom color blanks are like a woman when shes all dressed up...to get your attention and make you think "wow!" The rod is a tool as is the reel. How many construction workers do you see using a custom chartreuse and black saw with an urban camo hammer??? Sure, if a guy wants to spend a big wad of cash on that, by all means go ahead but it in no way will make him fish better or be luckier! Give me a custom black or charcoal colored blank of great quality, fit to my casting size and designed to my fishing specs/needs with black wraps and a very comfortable grip and very reliable Fuji guides and I'm there! 

You're right on and glad to see you advise guys on the ways of custom rods...it shows you've got integrity!