Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jchez444

kevin bogans custom poison rods

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

Anyone have experience with the poison rods that bogan makes. HOw senatitive are the blanks. Was looking at the fluke model and blackfish. will be putting a avet sx on them. Also planned on using either of the 2 for stripers also. any reviews would be great. They will be up against the g-loomis pro blue and custom sticks from J&B tackle.

I had the FC 70 MH built in october and I like the rod. Kevin's customer service is excellent as the rod was stolen from my front door because the post office just left it there. He had a claim filed and a new rod sent to me asap.

As for the rod I had the butt grip extended to 14 inches instead of the standard 12. I have used the rod with 12 ounces of lead and have had no problem swinging blackfish to 5 pounds over the rail.

The only draw back is that the tip top and the last few guides are small and the topshot knot gets hung up...

Vince

View Post

The only draw back is that the tip top and the last few guides are small and the topshot knot gets hung up...

Vince

You should have had a option to get the size guides you wanted, to make sure your knots pass thru them. Thats why you get a custom built...its to YOUR specs and what you want.

Correct. But I did not have a custom built I did not meet with the builder and discuss components and placement. I had a rod built to the builders specs with a minor modification to the grip. As for the guides and tip top going larger wouldn't be an option because of the diameter and taper of the blank. Again its a 150 dollar rod and not a 500 dollar 1 off custom. I am satisfied with the product and would have another built by kevin.

Vince

View PostYou should have had a option to get the size guides you wanted, to make sure your knots pass thru them. Thats why you get a custom built...its to YOUR specs and what you want.

View PostCorrect. But I did not have a custom built I did not meet with the builder and discuss components and placement.

Exactly, so how are they labeled as a "custom" rod?headscratch.gif Not saying they're not a value at that price, but it's far from a true custom.

View PostExactly, so how are they labeled as a "custom" rod?headscratch.gif Not saying they're not a value at that price, but it's far from a true custom.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh, stop with the facts!tongue.gif

Its a custom rod, ask MikeG!cwm27.gif

View PostI quit!!!!

Another reason not to post or ask for help!!!!

Check out the website.

Vince

Vince, I wasn't trying to be combative with my answer. Just saying that those details are very important when purchasing a rod no matter if its $50 or $500. If your knots don't pass thru the first 3 guides it makes for a aggrivating day of fishing and may lead to losing a big fish.

What knot do you use? maybe thats the problem. Try a slim beauty and reduce the lb test of the top shot and that should help. You can google the knot.

See....I'm really a nice fella.smile.gif

View PostVince, I wasn't trying to be combative with my answer. Just saying that those details are very important when purchasing a rod no matter if its $50 or $500. If your knots don't pass thru the first 3 guides it makes for a aggrivating day of fishing and may lead to losing a big fish.

What knot do you use? maybe thats the problem. Try a slim beauty and reduce the lb test of the top shot and that should help. You can google the knot.

See....I'm really a nice fella.smile.gif

Would be pretty aggravating if it didn't pass through the first guide, nevermind the next two.

I was being combative. tongue.gif