Braid Lifespan ???

Rate this topic

Zuma

Pulled out some fluking reels to get ready.

Two of the reels have braid that's three years old eek.gif

Too old??? Other than fading, it certainly "looks" fine.

Reels are stored inside- never left out or on boat.

Opinions please.

I'm too lazy to do a search, so if this topic's been beaten to death, forgive me frown.gif

Z

Turn the braid around on the reels.Meaning respool one reel to another so the inside braid is now on the outside. You will need an empty spool to do this.

There are two kinds of people. The ones that don't like me and the ones that don't know me.

Spectra has a very long life, it does not rot, is not readily damaged by ultraviolet rays like mono so it should last 10 years.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard, and the shallow end is much too large.

Spectra has a very long life, it does not rot, is not readily damaged by ultraviolet rays like mono so it should last 10 years.

If you use it in the surf it will pick up sand and that is a problem.

Also there is mor chance of the spool rusting with spectra than with mono.

Be sure to wear your flex wrap.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard, and the shallow end is much too large.

I've got some reels that see regular use with braid that's 3 or 4 seasons old...some spools might have braid that's 5 or 6 years old. It doesn't weaken with time, at least not in my experience. If the braid isn't badly frayed I would expect it to last for many more years.

The only time I replace braid on my reels is when the spool gets low from breaking off when snagged or if a section of line gets very badly beaten up in the rocks or against some hard, sharp structure.

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Got Whiplash on now going into the 6th year. It is fished hard for 14 days, washed in well water, the reel lubed & put away for the next year. It's getting boring, nothing is going bad yet, fading just a little. Maybe next year I will turn it around. Now on some of my 8lb. spinners that I use fireline on, not only can you turn it around to get more use. The stingeness comes out when in the middle of the spool there is unused line. Line not gotten to by turning around or anything. I walk the line out and cut it in the middle & knot the two outside ends together. This now gives me line that is unused but that can be turned around once more.

longcaster

If being stupid got us into this mess, how come being stupid can't get us out?
I don't want to behave improperly, so I just won't behave at all.

actually I disagree I think it does weaken but not enough to make any difference for about 10-15 years since the stuff is way underated for its strength.....

but the color fade wont hurt it one bit biggrin.gif

[ 05-09-2005, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: MarcusH ]

Captain of the 22' SeaCat aptly named Piscatologist