Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jig Man

Circles and stripers

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

The question on Flukes and circle hooks got me thinking, what is the best choice for circle hooks on Stripers? I started using Gamakatsu circles this year. Main reason for using these is that is all my local tackle shop had in stock. Any other opinions out there? I'm using shad for bait if that make a difference.

Jigman

I have had very good results with the Mustad 13/0 39960ST. Much less expensive than the gammis. Very narrow gap and no offset. Don't be scared off by the size it will reliably hook even "jersey keepers" (sorry). The offset circles defeat the whole purpose and will result in many gut hooked fish.

Steve

Gama circles, work great...But, I did break alot of them w/needle nose on dog-fish and skates. I dont know if I had a bad bunch, but one day on the boat I broke 5 or so just trying to twist it out of the pests mouths.

Went to regular 5 bait hooks and did not snap them. I always use them (Gama-Circle) from the beach/dead-sticking.

I use the Gami 8/0 circle hook for Striped Bass and Red Drum...they work well for me. These are the smallest circle hooks I use for the Linesides...I also use Mustads 13/0, but they are not "sticky" sharp like the Gami's out of the box. Also, Mustads dull quicker in my experience.

Also note, Gami makes 2 different circle hooks (octopus style). They look similar, but one is thin wire and will break as stated. I use the thicker version...this hook is strong and holds bait better.

img00011.gifimg00013.gifimg00012.gif

the mustads stay pretty sharp but do need sharpening...i use 13/0 with alot of bait

never broke one

------------------

may the fish be with you!

does it smell like skunks around here?..

or is just me!

Thanks for the info guys. I've been using the Gami Nautaluis circles. No real problems with them so far, but figured it might help if I had something to compare them to. 1/0 - 4/0 sizes is what I am using. Usually nose hooking a 4-7 inch shad. Sometimes the hooks tear up the smaller shad, though that may just be me not hooking them right.

Jigman