Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeMc

NJ Artificial Reef Survey results

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

The NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife included a questionnaire in the 2009 edition of Reef News, the annual newsletter about the Artificial Reef Program sent to more than 7,300 anglers and available online. The objectives of the survey were to assess reef building effectiveness and obtain other relevant data of value to reef managers.

The results of the survey, detailing responses about reef use, fishing success, species targeted and related topics are now on the division's website at http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/artreefsurvey09.htm . For more information on the reef program, including current and past editions of Reef News, visit http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/artreef.htm , also on the division's website.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Even if they had gotten responses from all 7300 you'd have to wonder who they were sampling. Study design, data gathering, and statistics seem not to be strengths of the fisheries management folks. That doesn't stop them, however, from saying that "these results show unequivocally that....." shakehead.gif

I asked Jennifer from the Artificial Reef Program to let me know next year when it comes out - I wanna take it smile.gif

And I'll make sure everyone here is aware of it so they can get a better sampling. Interesting results though, even if it was only a couple hundred anglers responding:

TimS

View PostSee what I mean?

What part? I didn't see them making any claims, much less anything about "these results show unequivocally that....." These charts are simply the numerical results of their polling, they don't make any claims, they just show the responses. I guess, no, I don't see what you mean smile.gif

TimS

What I meant to say, Tim, is that the numerical results of their polling may be meaningless, misleading, and wrong. The fact that the "results" indicate that reefs hold fish and are good is appealing to us as fisherman, and sounds very believable.....but that's as far as it can go. In this case I would bet that the population of fishermen who responded to the survey could hardly be described as random.

To put it differently, and to give an example.....I'll bet that I could find a place where I could walk up to the first 15 people I see and come away convinced that handguns should be banned, or that Roe v Wade should be overturned, or that the government has frozen aliens at Roswell.

Fishermen were quick to point out methodologic flaws (duh) in the blackfish study which led to the closure of the fishery. Why should we be less fussy about this? And, for that matter, why should we pat the state on the back for spending a lot of money to determine that reefs hold fish, when everybody knows that the important question is whether tanks are better than railway cars?