Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bay Club Carl

Who Would Have Thought It

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Never would have believed when I caught my first fish, a small Shark when I was seven, that fishing would turn into such a powerful addiction. When did you all know. I'm curious to hear your story. Good fishing and come on Spring.

Many of my earliest memories were days fishing the Hudson River where I grew up in Manhatten. Up around around 200th Street fishing off a broken down pier catching eels. Didn't know any better about how polluted it was at the time but I would walk down by myself every chance I could. I was somewhere around 7 or 8 at the time. A real distinct memory was fishing a lure the first time and getting a small tommy cod, same place. I'd have to say that what got me started...

I started fishing when I was 8 yrs old (1963.) We lived in Ormand Bch. My Dad and I started fishing the bridges across the Halifax River. I was always terrified to walk across the center draw bridge part but I did it. I have pic of my first ever saltwater fish a blowfish.

One day my dad bought a Penn 710 and a Horrics-Ibbotson surf rod (still have both) and a spinning reel combo from Western Auto. He said we needed bigger tackle we're going pier fishing. OH-BOY !! headbang.gif

Well for the next 4 yrs every Sunday morning at sunrise we were on the pier in Ormand Bch or Flagler pier at Flagler Bch. My Dad would watch what the people catching fish were using and the next week we'd have what we needed.

We started catching Whiting, Blues and Spanish Mackeral. Next thing I know my Dad says we need a coupla more rods. Off we go to my favorite place in the world The Fish'n Hole tackle shop. My Dad bought a Garcia Conolon rod(still have it) and a Mitchell 302 for himself. I was the proud owner of a new Penn 209(still have it) on a 6ft solid glass rod. We also bought some Silver Seahawk lures. WOW we are going to catch em now!

My dad could cast that combo so far I was amazed. I struggled to learn casting with my combo. First thing I learned was picking out a backlash.

We caught more Blues, Spanish, and Whiting. I'm not sure if it was the first Spanish I caught with the Seahawk(Gotcha) the first doormat flounder (have pics) or the Bull Red that pulled the hook pier side that hooked me.

I still love Sunrises on the water,catching fish and Tackle shops.

Thanks Dad !!!

My uncle got me hooked when I was about 11-12 . I lived only a few minutes from the water. We would fish whenever he was off of work.Which wasnt often, Dude worked his ass off. My uncle was tough so I learned the hard way I was scared to ask for help whenever I messed things up. My uncle doesnt know this but I love him to death.He taught me how to be a man. He is responsible for this thing I do and the reason why Im a half decent human being.

I look back now and realize how little he knew about fishing but what I learned was enough to point me in the right direction. We lost three set ups one summer becasue we didnt know not to over tighten the drag.lol. We thought if we didnt tighten it the spool would come off cwm27.gif

Started fishing about 1968 when I was 7. my Dad would take my younger brother and I out on Moriches bay LI,NY in a wooden skiff with a 1959 10 hp evinrude (which I still have today) and we would bail the flounder in the spring. we went almost every other weekend.

My Dad has long passed away but I credit him with giving my this fine addiction

I was hooked from day one

i think i was in the 5th grade around 1987, my dad bought me a rod n reel kit. i didn't even know how a reel workedcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

i don't remember what was my first catch, but all i know is fishing has become my passion, obsession, addiction, or whatever you may call it...ITS MY FAVORITE PASS TIME OF ALL TIME!!

When I was 5-6 my grandad used to take me to the park near his house to fish for little bream in the pond. But I remember the exact moment I became hooked for life. Sometime after my 8th birthday my uncle took me to a neighbor's farm pond with a Zebco combo and a bucket of crickets. We were catching bluegills and small bass when all of a sudden my line went zzzzzzzzzz-pop as a big catfish or large bass took off and spooled me. My uncle looked at me and said we needed to go back to the house for the "big fish rods." He only meant a couple of beat-up spinning reels from Wal-Mart, but I had visions of rods like tree trunks and reels the size of a power winch.

At that moment I knew I'd be chasing after bigger fish for the rest of my life.

Evan

View PostI started fishing when I was 8 yrs old (1963.) We lived in Ormand Bch. My Dad and I started fishing the bridges across the Halifax River. I was always terrified to walk across the center draw bridge part but I did it. I have pic of my first ever saltwater fish a blowfish.

One day my dad bought a Penn 710 and a Horrics-Ibbotson surf rod (still have both) and a spinning reel combo from Western Auto. He said we needed bigger tackle we're going pier fishing. OH-BOY !! headbang.gif

Well for the next 4 yrs every Sunday morning at sunrise we were on the pier in Ormand Bch or Flagler pier at Flagler Bch. My Dad would watch what the people catching fish were using and the next week we'd have what we needed.

We started catching Whiting, Blues and Spanish Mackeral. Next thing I know my Dad says we need a coupla more rods. Off we go to my favorite place in the world The Fish'n Hole tackle shop. My Dad bought a Garcia Conolon rod(still have it) and a Mitchell 302 for himself. I was the proud owner of a new Penn 209(still have it) on a 6ft solid glass rod. We also bought some Silver Seahawk lures. WOW we are going to catch em now!

My dad could cast that combo so far I was amazed. I struggled to learn casting with my combo. First thing I learned was picking out a backlash.

We caught more Blues, Spanish, and Whiting. I'm not sure if it was the first Spanish I caught with the Seahawk(Gotcha) the first doormat flounder (have pics) or the Bull Red that pulled the hook pier side that hooked me.

I still love Sunrises on the water,catching fish and Tackle shops.

Thanks Dad !!!

Thats a beautiful story, I hope my kids will tell one like it someday.clapping.gif

I started fishing with my Grandfather when I was six. We'd go out fishing in his small skiff around Cotuit and Mashpee using handlines. I saw Moby Dick at the drive-in with my parents the year before so I used to practice holding my breath in case he popped up and pulled us under. One day Grandpa caught me playing with his tobacco pipes and packed a couple and we both smoked together. He also gave me my first beer- a Knickerbocker in a jelly glass.

My grandson is only two but someday he, papa, a couple of abu's and a jelly glass are going fishing.

I started surf fishing in 2001 at age 19 with a buddy who didn't know much about it but had some basic gear. Immediately hooked just from being out there on the water, i really didn't have any success to speak of to get me hooked. I got a 10' ugly stik for christmas that year, and for a couple of years i had some real tough luck and went through some real googan growing pains. Mostly fishing daytime with bait in convenient locations that did not hold many fish. Finally broke through and got some of the right gear, learned some lures, and got into some fish. Then, as i'm sure a lot of you guys did, for about 5 years i was putting insane hours on the water and miles on the road to get from spot to spot.

At the same time lurking on SOL in between classes at college learning from all the guys here.smile.gif

Underemployed in the summer and barely going to class in the fall we went all over new england to long island, maine, north shore mass, boston harbor, south shore, cape cod, freshwater rivers, the canal, mv, block, all over gansett bay, soco you name it we put in long nights getting skunked, drinking coffee, catching fish, drinking booze, sleeping in the stinky truck, getting soaking wet and terrified in lightning storms, falling on the rocks, b.s.ing at 20 different tackle shops, taking pictures, rugged hands and chapped face, sleep deprived, sunrises, dirty jokes, march-december. Yes sir, i love surf fishing.

the last couple years work and serious girlfriend have curbed the insanity, but all the experiences helped me begin to understand some things about striped bass fishing, and I still have a lifetime to go get 'em

i remember when i was a kid my dad would take me on our 13' whaler to the same place all the time. a rock off of gardiners island. i was too young to cast. he would cast a creek chub striper strike. after an entire summer of casting he finally hooked a striper. i dont remember much, i just remember being so excited. i also remember catching snapper blues by the hundreds off the dock. cast it out, reel it in, toss the fish back in the water, repeat the process. for some reason i got so much enjoyment out of it. as i got older, a friend of my dads fished off montauk every sunday so i would tag along. fishing for fluke, seabass, etc. i went to the canyons with him when i was like 9 or 10. i was pretty much hooked from there.

a few years ago i was watching a guy fly fish off the jetty in three-mile harbor inlet. i became interested in that and got a 9wt combo for my birthdayt that year. 3 years later its all i do. i have a 1987 20' mako that i fish almost every day in the summer. i got my first stripers and my first false albacore on the fly this year. im completely engrossed. and i love it.

heart.gif These stories fill my heart with joy knowing that we all are not as different as we think. I can pick out a portion of all of these great stories and relate them to my fishing experiences. I've been wanting to post this for a while. Thanks for making it worthwhile. Keep them coming.