Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken D

No Drag: Smaller Abus.....

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Now and then, either your reel, or one you are working on for someone else, will exhibit slight drag, then no drag at all. This for the 4-5-6 (45/4600 on up) run of reels.

The usual suspects are ruled out and dealt with..contaminated drag washers, etc. But, upon field testing, the problem's still there !!

Braid with a poor knot is not it, it cannot be the washers, but what the frick?

Well: that leaves this possible cause: the post that the driveshaft rotates on, has broken loose from the brake plate, so the *entire stack* spins round and round.

After way too much life-force went into solving that little issue, one of the first things I do now, during a clean/service, is remove the driveshaft, and give the post a twirl, checking for spin, or still solid.

I have a small 5 pound anvil, with various holes drilled into it, for this and that. I just put the post in a hole, and take a blunt center punch to the bottom of the post, to re-beat it solid.

This condition is usually set up by storing a reel with the drag full on over a period of months. The first big fish, or snag causes the post to spin as the drag stack has friction "welded" over the storage period.

Hope this tip saves grief for the community here. KD.

I don't understand how the post spinning causes loss of drag. I've had to replace a brake plate on a crank bushed reel because the post was loose and rocking, but no loss of drag.

Good you replaced the brake plate, DB. In my gig here, the sports that complained they had no drag were very happy after the post was tightened, or the plate replaced. No drag can be taken to mean less than half the drag the reel is capable of making, none at all, or anything in between, from a previous known capability.

When a sport comes by, and states "I've got no drag", he does not necessarily mean zero. Fish specie will pay a hand too. A strong in-river salmon of 20+ pounds can run over 200 yards, easily, sometimes longer, right to the arbor, breaking off. The post will be spinning merrily away, and that reel indeed will offer zero drag, from about 100 yards on out.

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't see how it's related. When you say the entire stack was spinning, you mean the handle was turning backwards? Not trying to be confrontational, but I don't see it. Please explain the mechanics.