Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HanoverStriper

How many rods?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hey guys, first post on the Ditch Trolls after much reading. I'm very much addicted to reading on this site and learning as much as possible, so I thank all of you for the great information.

I fished the canal years ago, and had some pretty good success with bait. This year, I plan to throw more plugs and get into some jigging. With 2 little kids, my time and $$ are limited. Hoping to get down to the ditch at night and some early mornings next year.

Pretty sure I've got the necessary pluggage (still building collection) and will be purchasing some bucktails before the season (I'm sure that I will lose many of them), but wondering about the setup. I read through Toe's thread, and it seems like the Emblem Pro is one of the reels of choice. I'm leaning toward a Saltist 5000 due to the fast retrieve and 33lb drag. Since $$ is an issue, can I use this for plugging as well as jigging? I currently have 2 10' rods, an 8' and a 7'. I assume that I should probably use nothing less than a 10'. One is a lami Surf King MHS, Mod action, 3-8oz. The other is a St. Croix Triumph, Mod/Fast action, 3/4-4oz.

The more I read, the more I think I need one rod for plugs, one for pencils, and another for jigging. Can I get by with what I have, or should I step it up?

Thanks for your feedback!

Steve

you should be ok, the st croix will do plugs fine and the lami looks like it would be fine with jigs(not too familiar with surf kings) you will need reels most likely on both of these rods at the same time, either reels will do fine, the emblem is defiantely a older reel that has been somewhat time tested, but diawa has beeen a good name on the canal and dont forsee problems with the saltist either

Thanks Derek. Guess I probably should have said how many rods/reels. Was kind of hoping I could bring both rods and swap the reel out. If I could get an Emblem at a good price, maybe I will pick that up as well. The Saltist is going to be paid for with gift cards, so no money out of pocket.

thanks again!

you can do the swap thing i f you want but it kinda sucks to have to do it, think what if you are throwing plugs at like 6am in june at breaking fish and the pod goes down, are you gonna be able to brake down one rod rerig the other and cast and get into fish? if i were only fishing at night and wasnt gonna get into some areas where big jigs are needed, i would only carry 1 rods, something that would do it all, but my usual plan is to start at night and fish till morning and that usually mean plugs, and jig, and some guys that means plug jigs and eels and carry 3 rods and some that means multiple plugging rods and multiple jigging rods, the beach is so much easier 1 maybe 2 rods to do anything you want, why did i ever get into this canal stuffheadscratch.gif

View PostThanks Derek. Guess I probably should have said how many rods/reels. Was kind of hoping I could bring both rods and swap the reel out. If I could get an Emblem at a good price, maybe I will pick that up as well. The Saltist is going to be paid for with gift cards, so no money out of pocket.

thanks again!

Try to get another reel if you can. If you can ony get one try to get a spare spool. The reason I say this is because if you put a lower # test for getting the most distance with for your cast, the rocks will eat it up. If you put a higher test on your spool for jigging and use that for plugging you will be losing some distance on your cast for the plugs. But that is just my opinion. When you get the Saltist try to save some money and pick up an emblem here on the BST for a good price.

This is my dilema confused.gif ! Maybe I should just stay on the beach wink.gif

View Postyou can do the swap thing i f you want but it kinda sucks to have to do it, think what if you are throwing plugs at like 6am in june at breaking fish and the pod goes down, are you gonna be able to brake down one rod rerig the other and cast and get into fish? if i were only fishing at night and wasnt gonna get into some areas where big jigs are needed, i would only carry 1 rods, something that would do it all, but my usual plan is to start at night and fish till morning and that usually mean plugs, and jig, and some guys that means plug jigs and eels and carry 3 rods and some that means multiple plugging rods and multiple jigging rods, the beach is so much easier 1 maybe 2 rods to do anything you want, why did i ever get into this canal stuffheadscratch.gif

I was thinking about a spare spool. Maybe one with 30# and one with 50#. The Emblem on the other rod may be the better option though. It's January and too many thoughts running through my head!

View PostTry to get another reel if you can. If you can ony get one try to get a spare spool. The reason I say this is because if you put a lower # test for getting the most distance with for your cast, the rocks will eat it up. If you put a higher test on your spool for jigging and use that for plugging you will be losing some distance on your cast for the plugs. But that is just my opinion. When you get the Saltist try to save some money and pick up an emblem here on the BST for a good price.

Yeah, so I've been reading. I hope everything works out. On a side note, I work for Monster, and have noticed some pretty good trends in the job market over the last few months.

Pretty sure the emblem comes with an extra spool. If you pick one up that does not have one I would be willing to give you one. I'm sure I have one kicking around somewhere. No more emblems for me.

Thanks Texican. I would really appreciate that. Out of curiousity, why no more Emblems for you? (am i opening a can of worms here)

View PostPretty sure the emblem comes with an extra spool. If you pick one up that does not have one I would be willing to give you one. I'm sure I have one kicking around somewhere. No more emblems for me.

View PostThanks Texican. I would really appreciate that. Out of curiousity, why no more Emblems for you? (am i opening a can of worms here)

I have had a couple emblems and all have done well on the canal. My last one broke at the reel stem while I was fighting a fish in the canal. You can feel the emblem torque from there when fighting a fish in the current. It has only happened to me once as far as breaking at the stem. After that incident when I hooked up it would always cross my mind when fighting a fish. So I bought a metaled body reel with some good gears for jigging and gonna try the Saltist (metal bodied and fast retrieve) this year for topwater.

View PostI was thinking about a spare spool. Maybe one with 30# and one with 50#. The Emblem on the other rod may be the better option though. It's January and too many thoughts running through my head!

I throw 30# on one rod, but it's very thin and strong and will cut you quick during a cast if your drag slips. Tighten that drag knob!

dennis id think the 4500 would be the best size if i were gonna just plug, i had a 4000 saltiga z it was a tiny bit on the small side, but was still enough, if i didnt get a really good deal on it i would have gotten a 4500 or 5000