Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gaspar1975

Shooting Head x Running Line

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I want to try to make some shooting line for my specific needs. So, I would like to know that what is the best form to join the shooting head with the running line?

Maybe something that not screw in snake guides.

Thanks!

Gaspar

This link shows the best method but it in not easy and takes some time. It runs thru guides without any trouble and does not wear until 100 fishing days or so. But if you use tropic lines which have a mono core you can not use this method.

http://www.rackelhane.se/eng/10302.htm

Easiest method is welding and following link shows it. It produces same kind of loops as manufacturers use in many of their lines. If the loop causes trouble you can take the coating away from loop section after welding so it runs almost as well as first example.

http://www.********.com/speyclave/s...hlight=welding

With mono core lines welding can be done with some lines but with some it decreases its breaking strenght. So braided loops is a way to go. Of course thin tip can be fokded and thread with fly tying thread and covered with clue.

You may not get this magazine but there is an article in Fly Fishing In Saltwater, the May/June 2009 issue on this very topic. The technique involves using a 12-18 inch piece of braided mono secured by nail knots to connect the shooting head to the running line. The shooting head and the running line are inserted into the mono on opposite ends and nail knots at each end of the mono hold the entire joint together. The article is on page 42 and is entitled Dredging New Lows by Kendall Osborne. I used this technique with a length of Rio T-14 for fishing deep come this spring on fast rivers here and its easy to make the connection. I have not fished the setup yet but it certainly looks like it will be a very secure connection. And because it does not involve loops is "low profile" and shoots through the guides easily. If you cannot get a copy of the magazine, I think if you visit the FFSW website you can see the article in their back issues section.

I think those methods (i.e. all the "welding") are more complicated than is necessary. I use the basic loop to loop with braided mono loops, secured with nail knots, and I've never had it fail. It also slides through the guides with no problems.

Dan Blanton shows the method on his site, in his "Getting Looped" article.

I also use braided loops. BobPop gave a good tip some time ago about using UV Knotsense on the connections so they slide through the guides easier. a search should find his comments.

View PostTeedee

I tryed to find, but didn't get.

Do you use UV Knot Sense on the loops?

Thanks!

I use Knot Sense on just about any connection now. I used it on the nail knots connecting my shooting head to my running line and I use it on the barrel knots connecting my tippit to the leader. I use it on whipped loops or knail knotted loops for easy fly line to leader connections. The only time I don't is tippit to fly (too much in a rush to get it into the water tongue.gif )

It glosses over bumps real well and sets fast in direct light. I bought a small pensized UV light for working indoors such as when I put together leaders.

I use UV Knotsense on the handshake loops so they don't "rattle" going through the guides. To change heads pinch or bite off the Knotsense, change heads and reapply.