Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Hemlock?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I was at Home Depot and they had what I THOUGHT were 2"x2", 3' ballisters of Fir....and I guess 1 is...hard to read from the tag.....but I think the other 4 are Hemlock.

The one I think is Fir is rather dense and heavy, while the Hemlock is VERY light.

Can I use Hemlock, or did I waste my 8 bucks? I had them cut the wood into 9" blanks for me so I can mess around this weekend. I have 20 blanks now. The Fir seems to be a nicely grained piece of wood.

I was reading that Hemlock may not trun well and can blow up? True?

View PostI was at Home Depot and they had what I THOUGHT were 2"x2", 3' ballisters of Fir....and I guess 1 is...hard to read from the tag.....but I think the other 4 are Hemlock.

The one I think is Fir is rather dense and heavy, while the Hemlock is VERY light.

Can I use Hemlock, or did I waste my 8 bucks? I had them cut the wood into 9" blanks for me so I can mess around this weekend. I have 20 blanks now. The Fir seems to be a nicely grained piece of wood.

I was reading that Hemlock may not trun well and can blow up? True?

OK...you're starting to overthink this whole thing.

I've cut up pallets and spun the wood. I've spun wood from my wood pile, I've spun 2x4's. Chock it up, put on the sheild and start spinning.

View PostOK...you're starting to overthink this whole thing.

I've cut up pallets and spun the wood. I've spun wood from my wood pile, I've spun 2x4's. Chock it up, put on the sheild and start spinning.

Ahh.....

I knew I forgot to buy something, lol. Face Shield. I guess I can wear my big safety glasses and the respirator. That will cover most of my soft, beautiful skin from shrapnel.

Don't fool yourself my man, don't try to turn a thing without a face shield. kooky.gif I haven't been turning very long and it has already saved me many times.

The 1 1/4" (1 1/2"?) dowels at the cheapo work pretty well too and are as cheap as anything else out there.

View PostDon't fool yourself my man, don't try to turn a thing without a face shield. kooky.gif I haven't been turning very long and it has already saved me many times.

The 1 1/4" (1 1/2"?) dowels at the cheapo work pretty well too and are as cheap as anything else out there.

the face shield is the best advise that you have recieved here.... once you explode your first plug.. it will all become very clear...

View Postthe face shield is the best advise that you have recieved here.... once you explode your first plug.. it will all become very clear...

Ok.....back to Homies in the AM. Or.....I'm actually driving by Harbor Freight.....save money!!

Oh....when turning a square blank......any hits on those 1st whacks? I assume it's a little rough a 1st?

View Postbetter yet, drive around and look for chairs your neighbors throw away

Yep , this works. One thing about chair wood is that it's very dry and can split on the lathe.

Wear your face shield.biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Not a wood that is highly regarded by woodworkers - particularly with hand tools. There are far better woods in the low density category that can be found inexpensively. considering the total investment - time, hardware and finishing - I'd make hemlock near my last choice.

View PostNot a wood that is highly regarded by woodworkers - particularly with hand tools. There are far better woods in the low density category that can be found inexpensively. considering the total investment - time, hardware and finishing - I'd make hemlock near my last choice.

Yeah...I wish I noticed it before I had it cut into blanks, but w/e. The other 4 blanks I have are nice. I can use the Hemlock for pratice. It's not like I am going to be making plugs by next week.

View PostYep, a face shield like that. Check the 2x4s at homies too. Some are pine. Those will work fine for your first pencils.

Jigman

Yeah, but I wasn't sure if I could really rip a 2x4 with a circular saw very well. I just want to try out the lathe and get a feel for the unit and action of lathe work before I start spending any coin on wood.

where do you live? i asked because i run a home depot, we are always throwing away wood we've or the vendor has culled. Every week it's a carriage or 2 of molding, 1 bys' and handrail, great for your first go at it.