Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AfishinMick

Cutting Penn Spools

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Can anyone point me to a thread about cutting spools. Looking at customizing some Penns. I've read all the threads on drilling and painting but might want to try some v-stall like slots. Don't know if anyone is doing them at home.

Thanks,

Pete

NYNistler

couple of things

What are you cutting with?

How do you set up (clamp) to cut?

How do you lay out the pattern so it is consistant around the reel?

Do you use a jig to make the cuts?

Anything other tips that might be helpful..

Actually I stopped by a machine shop today to see what they could do but the boss was out. Would rather do it myself in my pole barn but I have no experience with this type of work.

Grateful for the reply and any help you can give me.

Pete

Pete - do you have access to a drill press? Doesn't have to be fancy, but one with a table that swivels at the main arm is helpful. I'll try to get pics of what I did and how I did it. It was as easy as a drill press, two c-clamps, scrap wood, bolt, washer, nut, and a cheap carbide endmill bit from EBay. Even the measuring was easy.

I've actually been looking into buying a small drill press. For what it would cost to do some of these I can get one. I'll have to look into the mill bit some. But was thinking the drill press is the thing for the holes anyway. Trying to get the whole thing figured out before I start and screw it up. Any more pic's would be great. Your rotor and spool are looking great. By the way I bought a small used roaster with temp control for $20 yesterday to bake the paint. Just the right size for 2-3 reels.

for just holes you can use a hand drill and a vise. you can get away without the vise, but it helps.

slots can be cut with a dremel.

put some masking tape around the cup to figure out the layout. use a centerpunch then drill, start with small holes and work your way up to the final size.

if you have calipers the final layout can be scribed in the paint.

View Postfor just holes you can use a hand drill and a vise. you can get away without the vise, but it helps.

put some masking tape around the cup to figure out the layout. use a centerpunch then drill, start with small holes and work your way up to the final size.

icon14.gif

i've done a bunch of rotors and a spool just like that . i do it for practical purposes only and not for cosmetics .

View Postfor just holes you can use a hand drill and a vise. you can get away without the vise, but it helps.

How long does it take to do the drilling with a dremel, not including the measuring? On the drill press, it took about 15 mintues for everything.

View PostHow long does it take to do the drilling with a dremel, not including the measuring? On the drill press, it took about 15 mintues for everything.

yep, once your pattern is marked the drilling is easy. never used the dremel for drilling.

use the dremel cut off wheel or the little end mill to do the slot after the ends of the slot are drilled out. i guess it could take an hour or so depending on the number of slots.

View PostThanks guys. A dremel I have and I can drill holes. I'll definitely have to take my time the first time. Any suggestions for how to keep the cuts straight?

thats the tough part. keep your marks clear and use a steady hand. take off a little at a time, its easy to get carried away with the dremel.

you could also scrible the centerline of the slot and centerpunch then drill along the line. clean the rest out with the dremel. that might help keep it straight.

o-o-o-o-o

I've got the drill press and a dremel lined up. I think I'll try Andy's route. Lay it out mark the lines do the drilling on the lines or use a mill bit if I can find one. Will try to send some pic's when I've got one cut.

Thanks for everone's suggestions.

Pete