Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slick706

Toooo EXPENSIVE to ship 8ft rod, any other suggestions??

18 posts in this topic

8'3 Stroix rod is being shipped to me. I suggested to the seller to go to the UPS store as it was about 35$ buck last time i used them but that was a 6'6 rod. They want to charge $30 for packaging the rod and $27 to ship!! thats insane and i know USPS is just as bad. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to package this rod, not much weight and easy so the seller only has to pay shipping not packaging?

Thanks

have them go to the local B&T's and ask if they have any rod shipping tubes...they will usually give one up. Maybe a little more luck in a few weeks as most of the shops will start getting inventory towards Feb...

Good Luck

I shipped a rod that size for short money not too long ago. I got a 10' PVC gutter downspout (rectangular and lightweight). Cut it to length, covered the ends with cardboard and taped. USPS charged me $17.50 for Priority Shipping.

Got there safe and sound. highfive.gif

View PostI shipped a rod that size for short money not too long ago. I got a 10' PVC gutter downspout (rectangular and lightweight). Cut it to length, covered the ends with cardboard and taped. USPS charged me $17.50 for Priority Shipping.

Got there safe and sound. highfive.gif

i did the same thing! got a rod tube from my B&T shipped a 5ft rod for 11$

first off do not ever go to the "ups store" !!!!

all they do is up the charges from ups .

pack it yourself and take it directly to ups not a ups store .

Mike the pvc gutter downspout is the way to go, tie plastic bags around the rod and drop it in. Fed Ex is getting to be one of the better ways to ship rods about 20.00.

I just shipped 3 rods to Florida in 5' X 93" PVC ( paid $28 for 10ft tube & caps I glued on cap on and taped the other w/duct tape.) Insured it for $400. Took them to P/O they wanted $79, took them to UPS shipped & insured for under $30 Shipped Friday Got them Wed. I shipped a large priority box w/ reels hooks, plugs and some packages of Gulp the same day via Post /Office I think it was $17 with insurance & tracking etc. it was waiting for me when I got to Florida.

O'D

I shipped a rod yesterday in a pvc tube that came in at 96" x 5" x 5" (was actually 14" circumference). I bought a 10' thin-walled PVC waste drain tube for $7 and two end caps for $3.50.

USPS wanted $56 because of the balloon charges.

FedEx would have been $25.

I went to a Mailboxes Etc. that is authorized to ship USPS, UPS & FedEx, and they wanted $43 for UPS as the cheapest.

I went to a UPS Store and they shipped it for $25.

UPS seems to have a limit of 108", while FedEx is 119" before mega charges kick in.

USPS charges by length + girth(circumference if tube). If it is greater than 108" then it is considered oversize so very expensive, price is very reasonable if less than 108" total. So in your case 8' long rod is 96" so add 2" to each end for cushioning equals 100" so your tube has be ~2.5" in diameter (8" divide by Pi gives you diameter of 2.53") or else your over the 108" and they'll charge you oversize rates.

FEDEX is probably the cheapest for anything longer than 108".

UPS is okay but I hate them and since I have an account w/ FEDEX that gives me 15% off rates, I never use UPS unless it is a return that a store gives me a prepaid UPS label.