Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charkbait

Spiked Rod Drag Tension

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I'm going to try and put out some decent topics to discuss while all this ice fishing is going on. We'll get some good opinions and maybe some new stuff to try come this spring.

The first one is pretty striaght forward:

How much tension do you keep on a spiked rod in terms of drag?

Me personally it really depends on the conditions and rig used.

For example in the past I ran my fish finder rig on my shock leader so I kept the drag just light enough to keep the waves from pulling line out. Allowing the fish to run with the bait with as little tension as possible.

Now I run about a 3'-4' 150# trace for the fish finder to run on. This allows only 3'-4' for the fish to run before it feels tension of a dragging or plugged sinker. Now I run enough tension to seat the hook into the corner of the mouth and in most cases hook the fish prior to me even getting to the rod.

View PostI run enough tension to seat the hook into the corner of the mouth and in most cases hook the fish prior to me even getting to the rod.

Yup...'cept I probably crank 'er down a bit more...just loose enough I ain't gonna lose a rod...tight enough it takes a good, big fish to pull drag. Works for me.

lol, steve can move, the pics don't do justicebiggrin.gif

In the past, I have left it pretty loose, depending on the conditions. but im going to try the tighter method... Loose to me is with the drag set, engaged to allow line to go out. Im tired of dogfish getting me excited, lol.

i set my drag at the piont to were ill be fighting my fish. i make my sand spikes long out of pvc and drive them deep with a board and a rubber mallet. never have lost a rod.

Light as possible. Stay away from hooks with wire the diameter of a garden hose and you can leave your drag set light.wink.gif I've caught a number of fish that the clicker only clicked a few times on the lightest setting. I want that clicker to click if a fish so much as breathes on the bait. Especially at night.

Heavy sinkers + fine wired, SHARP circle hooks + a light drag = fish

Drag too tight + big fish = bye rod

It's never fun watching your prized setup being dragged through the sand to the waters edge. I back the drag off enough so that the fish can run, but keep it tight enough so that my clicker doesn't go off with every wave. I'll set it tighter on days with strong current and big waves, but I'm never more than a couple steps away from my rod on those days.

I think the key here is to have enough resistance to set the hook before you can get to the rod... but not enough to loose your gear.

Make sure your sand spike is about as strong as you are to hold the rod

There are instances where fish have dropped the bait, cause they pulled line, felt something not right, spit it out. If the drag is set tight, you have a better chance of hooking them before this happens.

I think the rod action is a contributing factor on the drag setting as wellwink.gif

Isn't the effect of the pull on the hook in the fish's jaw/mouth more involved than just drag pressure?? What about teh wind and current. These forces also pull on the line and add to the real drag felt by the fish, right?

I tend to set my drags pretty light. Just tight enough that the line will not be pulled out by wind or waves. I like to be able to take a few cranks of the slack before line starts to be pulled out.

Watching the guys on the piers in NC this fall I saw a lot of super-light drags and J hooks or light wire circle hooks. For as many bites as I saw there weren't many drops or lost fish.

CJ