Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alo

My First stingray for the year

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

My First Stingray for the year

Date: 13-01-2010 Time: 9.30pm Rod: Penn Power stick 10ft Reel: Shimano Torium 20 Line: 30lbs braided with 50lbs mono leader Rig: Long Snood bottom feeder Bait: Fresh night herring(tuabak)

Went there around 7pm mainly to catch squid but I also bring along one rod to cast out. Jig a few night herring as bait. Tide is coming up fast and the current is strong. Bait was very lasting. Think I only change one time.

Very strong wind tonight and the squid is rare. It hardly wanted to surface. I was still jigging for bait fish beside my squid lamp when my reel alarm goes off non stop. Quickly put down my jigging rod and rush over to pickup my rod. Strike and it on. By now my 100 meter of mono leader already totally out and the inside braided line has touch the water. Oohh...what a powerful one. As the current is strong, the fish took the advantage and stay on to do tug of wall with me. It manage to hold for awhile before giving up. Once it loosen, I pump the rod and start winding back. Once it was near to the water surface, it do a last deep dive downward but can't go further as I put more pressure on my spool to stop it. I surface it and angler Siong was there already with his rope gaff. Easily bring up as the water was high. I weigh it and it was 8.9kg on the scale. The fish was given to Siong as I need to packup soon.

89kgSR130110-1.jpg

I caught them off Pt. Loma, Submarine (San Diego, Ca.) base behind the officer's club back in the 70's. It was like a private gravel beach I used to fish and nobody was ever there. I caught a lot of kelp bass and snagged huge rock lobster. I caught my first ray there and it took a while to land him. They sure do put up on hell of a fight.

Nice job Alo! highfive.gif

View PostI caught them off Pt. Loma, Submarine (San Diego, Ca.) base behind the officer's club back in the 70's. It was like a private gravel beach I used to fish and nobody was ever there. I caught a lot of kelp bass and snagged huge rock lobster. I caught my first ray there and it took a while to land him. They sure do put up on hell of a fight.

Nice job Alo! highfive.gif

Some of my shipmates (sub tender) fished out there by Ballast Point.

I didn't know what they were catching.

View PostAwesome catch Alo! It's great having you on this site- we get to see fish that most of us will never see, let alone catch, in our fishing careers.

Keep 'em coming highfive.gif

Good point Pat.Let's see some more exotic species,my friend.smile.gif