Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SallyGrowler

Bloomberg : Salt = Asbestos?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Shouldn't this guy be concerned about the fiscal impact restaurants serving bland food?

Yeah - I know - Salt is Bad... if you are genetically predisposed re: hypertension.

He banned trans-fat - have you tasted a batch of McD's Fries since they eliminated trans fat? Blech!

Imagine all the quality Jewish Deli going into the toilet because Bloomy says no salt.

All the primo Italian stuff is high in salt - because it can't be made any other way.

If someone served Bloomy a salt-dome chicken (properly) bonehead wouldn't get it.

Sorry - you can't serve grav-lox anymore because is loaded with salt.

You might want to skip the Prosciutto, Cappicola w/ provolone because you can't make that stuff without salt.

Did I not get the memo? Are the majority of New York restaurant patrons suffering from hypertension or high blood pressure?

The world is in an economic crisis, unemplyment is through the roof, and this a-h*le is worried about people's diets?

Why doesn't he put some effort to cleaning up his city so I don't have to smell p*ss on the sidewalk or subways, and can walk South Bronx at night (not like I would) and feel safe.

Congrats NY for re-electing him!

Happened to find this, which I found amusing:

Mayor Bloomberg Has a Tortured Relationship With Salt

9/23/09 at 10:17 AM

The Times today took a moment out of their coverage of the intensifying mayoral race to tut-tut incumbent Michael Bloomberg about one of his bad habits: eating junk food. Reporter Michael Barbaro painstakingly - and hilariously - points out each of his weaknesses. They include: burnt bacon, peanut-butter sandwiches, hot dogs, Big Macs, fried chicken, wine, pizza, coffee, and his favorite snack of all, Cheez-Its. (They are, indeed, the sodium squares of the gods.) This, the Times thinks, is a bit hypocritical because Hizzoner has long been on a crusade to force the city into healthier habits: banning smoking in restaurants and bars, forcing chain restaurants into posting calorie counts, and paying for aggressive ad campaigns against sugary drinks. But for all the (surprisingly unpretentious) unhealthy foods he loves, apparently the mayor's most tortured relationship is with salt. He prefers popcorn "so salty that it burns others' lips," and puts so much salt on a bagel "that it's like a pretzel." He even puts a hefty amount of salt on pizza (six dashes! Barbaro counted!).

This salt fetish could be seen as another example of hypocrisy, considering how Bloomberg has lately begun to wage a war against salt, requesting that dining establishments voluntarily reduce their use of the flavor-enhancer by at least 20 percent. But to us it just seems to fit in perfectly with Bloomberg's nanny-state philosophy. Bloomberg used to be a smoker - he knows firsthand how hard it is to quit on your own once you get started, so he sets in place as many obstacles to the habit as possible. Likewise, he knows how delicious junk food is, and how hard it is to resist, so he sets up little hurdles (calorie counts, trans-fat bans). And salt, oh, salt. Who can fight it? Not most people, and definitely not Bloomberg - which he well knows, and which is why he tries to pull out a bit of sodium before food even gets to people.

You can argue about whether this kind of policy is right, for sure. But you can't argue that Bloomberg's a hypocrite for sometimes indulging by eating junk food and simultaneously trying to help other people stay off it. He's a healthy guy who eats very carefully most of the time, but he's not some personal nutrition fascist. Think of how annoying it would be if we had a perfectly in-shape health freak for a mayor telling us what we should and should not try to eat. That would be awful. It would be like, like ... San Francisco. Shudder.

"If we know there's asbestos in a school room what do you expect us to do?" Bloomberg shot back at reporters questioning his new initiative. "Say it's not our business? I don't think so. The same thing is true with food and smoking and a lot of things.

"Salt and asbestos, clearly both are bad for you," Bloomberg continued. "Modern medicine thinks you shouldn't be smoking if you want to live longer. Modern medicine thinks you shouldn't be eating salt, or sodium."

headscratch.gif

What doctor has he been talking to?

The facts mam, just the facts...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/pr2010/pr002-10.shtml

January 11, 2010, The National Salt Reduction Initiative, a New York City-led partnership of cities, states and national health organizations, today unveiled its proposed targets to guide a voluntary reduction of salt levels in packaged and restaurant foods. Americans consume roughly twice the recommended limit of salt each day, causing widespread high blood pressure and placing millions at risk of heart attack and stroke, in ways that they cannot control on their own. Only 11% of the sodium in Americans' diets comes from their own saltshakers; nearly 80% is added to foods before they are sold. Through a year of technical consultation with food industry leaders, the National Salt Reduction Initiative has developed specific targets to help companies reduce the salt levels in 61 categories of packaged food and 25 classes of restaurant food. Some popular products already meet these targets, a clear indication that food companies can substantially lower sodium levels while still offering foods that consumers enjoy.

View PostThe facts mam, just the facts...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/pr2010/pr002-10.shtml

January 11, 2010, The National Salt Reduction Initiative, a New York City-led partnership of cities, states and national health organizations, today unveiled its proposed targets to guide a voluntary reduction of salt levels in packaged and restaurant foods. Americans consume roughly twice the recommended limit of salt each day, causing widespread high blood pressure and placing millions at risk of heart attack and stroke, in ways that they cannot control on their own. Only 11% of the sodium in Americans' diets comes from their own saltshakers; nearly 80% is added to foods before they are sold. Through a year of technical consultation with food industry leaders, the National Salt Reduction Initiative has developed specific targets to help companies reduce the salt levels in 61 categories of packaged food and 25 classes of restaurant food. Some popular products already meet these targets, a clear indication that food companies can substantially lower sodium levels while still offering foods that consumers enjoy.

What? You mean this isn't another global conspiracy on the scale of planetary warming? Is that from U of E Anglia?

biggrin.gif

I understood NYC was going to issue guidelines.

Solution is avoid prepared foods to the extent possible.

but completely against govt, whether city/state/fed, trying to legislate it, telling people what they can eat.

if anything, city govt should just issue public service announcements reminding people of proper diet, not writing bonehead laws,

mother was recently at NYU hospital,

when i was in the cafeteria, they had baked chicken, with nothing else,

the baked chicken had over 1000 mg of salt,

and that was on my mothers hospital menu, who has diabeties, high blood pressure, and water retention problems because of heart meds.

i would think twice of having a dish with +1000 mg of salt, and would throw it out before giving it to my mother.

Americans consume roughly twice the recommended limit of salt each day

I forgot where I read it yesterday, but this statistic has been proven to be BS.

Apparantly - the "Avg American" Salt intake is at par with what AMA considers appropriate.

causing widespread high blood pressure and placing millions at risk of heart attack and stroke, in ways that they cannot control on their own.

This is a distortion.

You won't get widespread HBP unless a majority of the population is genetically pre-disposed to HBP.

View Post

This is a distortion.

You won't get widespread HBP unless a majority of the population is genetically pre-disposed to HBP.

More accurately, genetically pre-disposed with a BP related sensitivity to sodium......

Many people are genetically pre-disposed to high BP, but salt intake (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with it or in helping to lower it.

Oh, let's set the record straight here.......

If food manufacturers and restaurants decide that they want to endeavor to reduce sodium in the products they offer, and/or if people want to urge them to do it, that is fine. That is the right of folks to ask for it, and a business decision for the sellers to research, decide upon, and make, based on consumer requests, quality of product, and a bunch of other things.

If the result is that their food sucks and I (or many other people) don't purchase it, at least that will have been their own decision, and they will either benefit by that decision or be hurt by it. But at least they would have done it voluntarily, and have the option of reversing that decision.

The problem arises when it is LEGISLATED by the government, and nobody has the choice.....