Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayak99

Decisions, decisions - SW FL or Miami/Keys?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Planning on a winter escape, short trip, flying to FL late 2/11, leaving FL 2/16. Trying to decide whether to do Miami/Keys or fly into Ft Myers & fish that area, maybe Pine Island area, maybe a day trip to Everglades City. Free accomodations in Cape Coral, if I went to Miami/Keys I'd have to find something. (I am kinda cheap and I prefer laid back accomodations rather than chain properties.)

Definitely need some time just laying in the sun if possible as I want to defrost but most importantly I'd like to do some (shore) fishing. Realizing there's a deep freeze as I write this I am wondering what effect that has had on the fish.

I've been to both areas several times and most of my fishing would probably be around bridges unless other spots can be suggested. I'll be by myself and doubt I'd rent a boat. Recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

I love the keys...Fisherman's paradise.But if its free room and board in Cape Coral ,I'd pull the trigger and fish Sanibel and Captiva (red fish pass) ,it is one of my favorite spots you should hit it just right , if the warm weather cranks up..Plenty of spots to fish from shore there.smile.gif

The locals may have a bit more insight into the freeze..but I've been at Ft Myers Beach all week. The freeze has been devastating to the fish in the area and all around here. It's crazy all the dead fish that have washed up. I've walked the beach the last few mornings and found countless snook, catfish, grouper, snapper, ladyfish, jacks, couple sharks...and could go on. The snook took a big hit.

I can't imagine the fishing will be great anytime soon around here. Hopefully I'm wrong but it's hard to have a positve outlook after seeing the fish kill. If I could have planned my trip over again, I would have gone farther south or to the east coast.

View PostThe locals may have a bit more insight into the freeze..but I've been at Ft Myers Beach all week. The freeze has been devastating to the fish in the area and all around here. It's crazy all the dead fish that have washed up. I've walked the beach the last few mornings and found countless snook, catfish, grouper, snapper, ladyfish, jacks, couple sharks...and could go on. The snook took a big hit.

I can't imagine the fishing will be great anytime soon around here. Hopefully I'm wrong but it's hard to have a positve outlook after seeing the fish kill. If I could have planned my trip over again, I would have gone farther south or to the east coast.

Really - I was looking into another July trip to the SW coast of FL. Last July, the fishing was off the charts for snook. Will this cold snap affect the numbers of snook that far in advance or is it more probable that many more of these fish moved out into deeper and warmer water?

View Posti did pine island last year great fishin lots of reds and snook. if you need any info on where to stay and general info of the area let me know.

Any information you can help with would be appreciated. I have a place to stay but would like to fish when and wherever possible. Last time I fished by the lower Cape Coral bridge & caught my first Snook. Tried a bridge going onto Pine Island but came up empty. Thanks, Mike

This may well turn out to be the worst fish kill ever down here. The snook were dying in the canals in Islamorada two days ago, and the water was probably no colder then than now.

Snook fishing will be most likely be way, way down (if even allowed) this year and probably several or more to come.

I am oceanside, Key Largo, and a few fish carcases of fileted fish thrown off the dock last Friday are still sitting on the bottom, uneaten, where they were thrown, along with whole snappers and grunts dead from the cold. Normally, they would have been gone within half an hour. I have not seen a single (live) fish, ray, crab, or lobster off the dock since Friday.

Bay side and the canals are even worse.

It is really awful. Hopefully, most of the fish oceanside went off the edge of the reef and survived.

Jim

View PostThis may well turn out to be the worst fish kill ever down here. The snook were dying in the canals in Islamorada two days ago, and the water was probably no colder then than now.

Snook fishing will be most likely be way, way down (if even allowed) this year and probably several or more to come.

I am oceanside, Key Largo, and a few fish carcases of fileted fish thrown off the dock last Friday are still sitting on the bottom, uneaten, where they were thrown, along with whole snappers and grunts dead from the cold. Normally, they would have been gone within half an hour. I have not seen a single (live) fish, ray, crab, or lobster off the dock since Friday.

Bay side and the canals are even worse.

It is really awful. Hopefully, most of the fish oceanside went off the edge of the reef and survived.

Jim

I've stayed a few times at the Westin/Sheraton, or whatever it is now & fished many nights off it's dock. Ate at Ballyhoos during the all you can eat Stone Crab season! Loved Key Largo & hope the cold didn't spoil the fishing. At this writing I'm leaning towards the SW Coast for this trip so I'll probably have to buy my air tickets tomorrow.

Kayak 99, I'm in Naples and I would say that you should consider the keys. Most guys I have spoken to said they saw serious snook kills in our area which includes the Everglades. I am going to take my boat down to Chockoloskee next wk to check it out myself. I'll let you know what see. JP

It sounds like the snook were somehow stuck or unable to escape to deeper waters...what's the deal with tarpon? Will they move off to deeper water and survive this type of weather or are they seeing dead tarpon as well?