Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jimnor

west coast surf gear

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I'm flying in from Norway in late March. I hope to get a few days at the beach for some surf perch and whatever is running. I will take one rod with me. My first choice for the surf will be a 10 ft, 6 pc Shimano Speedmaster. At 3/4 to 2 oz casting it should work fine. The reel is a Shimano baitrunner loaded with 15 lb Fireline.

Any suggestions on lures? Are Kastmasters ok? What about 1.5 oz spinners?

Poppers?

Thank you,

Jim

Your a brave man using a 6 piece rod. I'd be too paranoid it would come apart while casting cwm31.gif

IMO your best bet for the beach you mentioned in your other post would be a hi-lo or carolina rig baited with shrimp or pileworm.

For lures I'd say 1-2oz white bucktail, bottle plug, and tins. Wouldn't hurt to have a swimming plug and a pencil popper too.

If you want a good chance at a surf striper you'll want to try beaches father south. The beaches between SF and Halfmoon bay produce.

Good luck!

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your reply. And concern.

I have fished with the Shimano travel series rods for 12 years without a glitch. They are actually five piece with the sixth being a short section to bring the rod down a foot.

It may not be a popular rig but I have depended on it for a long time while. They brake down to nothing and cast plenty yards all day with a balanced reel/line. I have a 50 - 100gram, 11 ft rod from Shimano which I have abused for over a decade.

I fish on average over 60 days a year and I always grab the Shimano for salt work.

Its always easy to find in my garage...its the ugly one!!'

Sincerely,

Jim

Jimnor,

Don't worry about casting distance. Perch are often close to shore feeding on sand crabs in the wash. Best time for stripers on the beach is at night and they'll come right into the shallow water. One night Mike had a fish that bit his lure's tail hook when it was half on dry land! biggrin.gif

3way swivle with a dropper line for the weight and a longer leader usually 24-36" and use rootbeer plastic grubs cast out and very slow retreive you can also use live grass shrimp or softshelled sandcrabs or whatever bait you can find 90% of your bites will be at your feet in the wash as the surf ebbs out

View Post3way swivle with a dropper line for the weight and a longer leader usually 24-36" and use rootbeer plastic grubs cast out and very slow retreive you can also use live grass shrimp or softshelled sandcrabs or whatever bait you can find 90% of your bites will be at your feet in the wash as the surf ebbs out

All of that also works with a Carolina rig. Blood worms, grass and Safeway shrimps, and sand crabs also work well.

I agree on the carolina rig as a good choice. Also try a simple dropper loop which is what I prefer. Casting a 3-way always ends up in a lot of hassles. I think a 3-way is better suited for a boat.

Thanks for the tips!

It seems like east coast kingfish tactics will work fine. A couple droppers over a 1oz sinker, #2 or 4 Mutu light Owners (I tye bucktail and krystal flash below the snell). A barrel swivel up top and thats it! Bait will be anything I find on the beach but I prefer blood worms.

Where can I buy blood worms in Marin? Western Sport?? Is Gene still there. Havn't seen him in 15 yrs!!

Its a shame I didn't fish the salt when I lived in Larkspur back in the '90s. We moved to the Norwegian mnts where the game is brown trout!!!

Funny though, being from NJ, I miss the salt. Surf fishing provides fantastic sport. Its not very popular here in Norway. You'll NEVER see another surf caster up here! Even on the best beaches with sea trout running!!

View Post

Where can I buy blood worms in Marin? Western Sport??

Try Western Boat and Tackle on 3rd Street right across from the high school. If they don't have any, you might want to try my buddy Keith Fraser at the Lord of the Sea bait shop at Loch Lomond Marina.

View PostStripers on the beaches in March and at night?

Stripers in the Bay in March is a good possibility, I know.

Yea I forgot the date. I'd say it's a longshot in March. I wouldn't bother trying redface.gif

Yeah I blanked out the date too redface.gif

The bay would definitely be your beat bet for a striper in March. If you want give me a PM when your around and I can point you towards some areas to try.

View PostHey Mike,

Thanks for your reply. And concern.

I have fished with the Shimano travel series rods for 12 years without a glitch. They are actually five piece with the sixth being a short section to bring the rod down a foot.

I

Sincerely,

Jim

Jim

If you should ever want to convert the five piece ( Actually six ) to a genuine six or seven piece unit we have a member (Double D ) who is quite an expert in that conversion. It can be accomplished while you wait. biggrin.gif